Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 26. — Mr. James Waddell, Chairman of the Local Committee, Campbeltown, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner

page 171

No. 26.
Mr. James Waddell, Chairman of the Local Committee, Campbeltown, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner.

Bluff, July 7th, 1868.

Sir,

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 24th ultimo, enquiring if the Local Committee would have any objection to the admission of Native or half-caste children to the Campbeltown school.

The matter was brought before the Committee, when the following resolution was adopted, viz.: —"That only the Native and half-caste children belonging to the Bluff, and whose parents or guardians reside here, be admitted. Applicants for admission to apply to the Chairman for approval."

With respect to the Government subsidies, I am not aware if any of the parents (with one exception), are not able to pay the school fees.

I have, &c.,
James Waddell.

Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Christchurch.