Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 25. — Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, to the Chairman Local Committee of Education, Bluff, Southland

No. 25.
Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, to the Chairman Local Committee of Education, Bluff, Southland.

Bluff, June 25th, 1868.

Sir,—

As the General Government is anxious, wherever it is practicable, to procure the admission of Native and half-caste children into the European day schools, I would beg to inquire whether the Local Committee of Education at the Bluff, would have any objection to Native or half-caste children attending the district school. It is proposed under the provisions of "The Native Schools Act, 1867," that wherever the parents are unable to provide the whole of the school fees; the Government will be prepared to find such a proportion of them as may be found advisable, not exceeding three-fourths to be calculated as a certain yearly rate upon the daily average number of Native scholars in attendance, and to be paid quarterly on the receipt of such returns as to the number of the scholars, and their proficiency in the English language, and in the knowledge of Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic, as shall be from time to time prescribed in regulations to be made on that behalf by the Colonial Secretary; but previous to the Government grant being paid, it will be necessary that the proportion payable by the Native parents should be first deposited in the hands of the Chairman of the Local Committee, "if the children are admitted to the local school," and a certificate furnished by him to the Government to that effect.

By an enumeration recently made of the Native residents in the Southern Provinces, it is understood there are about 23 half-caste children living at the Bluff. It is probable, however, that many of these have not yet reached a school age, and the number eligible for admission to the local school at present would, probably, average ten.

The probable amount payable annually for each child in regular attendance would be ruled, I presume, by the usual scale of fees paid for scholars in the several stages of proficiency, according to the custom in use in your school.

It is probable, if admission was granted to the Native children, that the children residing at the New river might be induced to attend.

If you would be good enough to lay the subject before your Committee at its next sitting, I should esteem it a favor, and any communication you may have for me on the subject will find me at Christchurch.

I have, &c.,
Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Chairman of Local Committee of Education, the Bluff.