Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 23. — Mr. Isaac Newton Watt, R.M., Dunedin, to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 23.
Mr. Isaac Newton Watt, R.M., Dunedin, to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Dunedin, January 19th, 1871.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that the Rev. Mr. Blake, Chairman of the Native School Committee at Otago Heads, held an examination of the pupils on the 25th December last, when a Report (a copy of which I enclose) was read by him.

I was unable to attend on that day (it having been fixed before I was consulted), but I visited the school on the 7th instant. There were thirteen boys and five girls present. I inspected their Writing, and they were examined in Reading, Spelling, Arithmetic, and Geography. One or two of them appeared to be dull, as might be expected, but the great majority answered accurately and intelligently, save in questions of Arithmetic.

At the conclusion of the examination they sung three or four hymns very fairly, and seemed to enjoy the rhyme.

I concur with the Report of the Committee, and think the progress is satisfactory, regard being had to the interregnum, which, however, was not owing solely to the want of a master's house, but also to my anxiety to obtain the services of a trained teacher, if possible.

With respect to the teacher's desk and a school bell, I am about to supply them, together with a water butt and oven for the master's house, as I have not yet exhausted my authority, and they are all essentials.

I have, &c.,
I. Newton Watt, R.M.

The Under Secretary, Native Department.