Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[Kaiapoi No. 1.]

page 155

Kaiapoi.
No. 1.

Rev. James W. Stack, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

St. Stephen's,

August 16th, 1864.

Sir,

I have the honour to forward for your perusal the copy of a letter I addressed to His Excellency the Governor, and forwarded through the Bishop of Christchurch so long ago as October, 1863, and to which I have not yet received any answer.

Though the buildings were completed in November, 1863, the school remains unopened for want of funds.

I have explained in my letter to His Excellency why we cannot provide the salary of the teacher out of local funds. If, therefore, it is the intention of the Government to assist us by a grant in aid, I hope some provision will be made for the support of a teacher.

Since writing the letter, which I enclose, I have had reason to think that a larger salary than I have named will be required. Unless I can offer a salary likely to induce a good mistress to undertake the office, the school cannot be carried on efficiently. If the teacher undertakes to instruct the children at a lower rate of remuneration than she would receive for instructing English children, she thereby places the Manager under a certain amount of obligation; and if she should prove inefficient, creates a difficulty in removing her from her post.

I think it will be advisable to offer the same salary, £60 or £70, as the teachers in the English schools here receive.

I have, &c.,

James W. Stack.

The Honorable the Native Minister.

Enclosure in No. 1.
Rev. James W. Stack, to His Excellency the Governor.

St. Stephen's, Kaiapoi, October 27th, 1863.

Sir,

Your Excellency is, doubtless, aware that a sum of £200 was granted by Governor Browne towards the establishment of a Native boarding school in this Province; since then a further grant of £200 has been received from your Excellency's Government; and the Provincial Government gave an additional sum of £250; the Maoris gave £50 out of the Kaiapoi Road Compensation money and materials and labour equivalent to another £50; making in all £750. With this sum a cottage of four rooms, a schoolroom, two dormitories, a dining-room, kitchen, and two rooms for the use of the teacher, were built, and the school-farm fenced in.

The funds still on hand are barely sufficient to provide the necessary furniture. It will, therefore, be impossible to open the school for the reception, of scholars, unless, in addition to the capitation grant, some special provision is made for the payment of a teacher's salary. I think a sum of £50 would be sufficient to secure the services of a comp[gap — reason: damaged]tent person. I am aware that in preferring this request I am proposing a course contrary to the usual practice in the Northern Island. There the managers and teachers are supported by English societies. Here the Mission is entirely dependent on local contributions; and these contributions are not yet sufficient to pay the present staff. We cannot, therefore, add to it, unless the Government are willing to guarantee the salary of the additional teacher.

A special grant for this purpose will be necessary, in addition to the capitation grant of £10 per annum, as more than that sum will be required for the maintenance of each scholar.

I appeal with more confidence to your Excellency than I could otherwise do, because I am able to show that the Mission has already conferred many of those advantages on the Natives of the Province which the Government by the supply of educational establishments wishes to secure. And, further, because the Natives here have shown a willingness to co-operate in all our efforts for their enlightenment. It cannot but be gratifying to your Excellency to know that the Maoris of Kaiapoi, who do not exceed 140 in number, have given 20 acres of land on their valuable reserve; two acres of bush for firewood;

£35 towards the Clergyman's house;
100 in money and labour towards the school;
65 towards Missionary stipend;
60 towards a Church;
17 towards a Church support;
10 Melanesian Mission;
16 at laying of foundation stone of school;
13 towards a bell;
17 Taranaki Relief Fund;
Total £333

If I add £150, contributed by the Port Levy Natives towards their church, the total sum raised by a portion of the Maoris in this Province, amounting to only 200 souls, since August, 1859, amounts to £483.

After the earnest efforts of the Natives to establish a school, and the expenditure of the grants 40 page 156already made towards that object, I trust your Excellency will not allow the failure of all our plans for the want of a small annual grant for the support of a teacher.

I have, &c.,

James W. Stack.

His Excellency the Governor.