Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Rev. James W. Stack, to the Hon. the Native Minister

Rev. James W. Stack, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

St. Stephen's,

August 16th, 1864.

Sir,

I have the honour to forward for your perusal the copy of a letter I addressed to His Excellency the Governor, and forwarded through the Bishop of Christchurch so long ago as October, 1863, and to which I have not yet received any answer.

Though the buildings were completed in November, 1863, the school remains unopened for want of funds.

I have explained in my letter to His Excellency why we cannot provide the salary of the teacher out of local funds. If, therefore, it is the intention of the Government to assist us by a grant in aid, I hope some provision will be made for the support of a teacher.

Since writing the letter, which I enclose, I have had reason to think that a larger salary than I have named will be required. Unless I can offer a salary likely to induce a good mistress to undertake the office, the school cannot be carried on efficiently. If the teacher undertakes to instruct the children at a lower rate of remuneration than she would receive for instructing English children, she thereby places the Manager under a certain amount of obligation; and if she should prove inefficient, creates a difficulty in removing her from her post.

I think it will be advisable to offer the same salary, £60 or £70, as the teachers in the English schools here receive.

I have, &c.,

James W. Stack.

The Honorable the Native Minister.