Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[Copy of letter from Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland.]

1. Population. Location of Tribes.

The Native population of the Middle Island cannot be estimated at more than 2,400 souls.

The principal tribes are the Ngatirarua, Ngatiawa, Ngatitama, Ngatikoata, Rangitane, and Ngaitahu. These are located as follows:—

The Ngatirarua—at Wanganui; Collingwood, Motupipi, and Motueka, Province of Nelson; and at Wairau, Province of Marlborough.

page 138

The Ngatiawa—at Pariwhakaoho, Motupipi, Province of Nelson; and Queen Charlotte's Sound, Province of Marlborough.

The Ngatitama—at Takaka, Wainui, Motueka, and Wakapuaka, Province of Nelson.

The Ngatikoata—at Croixelles Harbour, and D'Urville's Island, Province of Nelson.

The Rangitane—at Pelorus, and Wairau, Province of Marlborough.

The Ngaitahu—at Kaikoura, in the Province of Marlborough; Buller, and Grey, West Coast of Nelson; Taramakau, Arahura, Hokitika, Poherua, Makawiho, Mahitahi, and Jackson's Bay, West Coast; and Kaiapoi, Rapaki, and Arowhenua, East Coast of Canterbury; and in scattered settlements along the eastern side of the Province of Otago, and the south of Southland.

The South-west Coast of the Middle Island, extending from "Milford Haven" to "Jacob's River," is not known to be inhabitated by Natives, there are, however, reports of an aboriginal tribe, named Ngatimamoe, having been seen there.

2. General condition of Natives.

The Natives of the Middle Island have not made such an advance, either socially or morally, as might have been expected from the close contact into which they have been brought with Europeans. This may be traced to a variety of causes:—

1st.The discovery of goldfields at Nelson and Otago, has tended to unsettle the Natives. Many of them having completely abandoned the cultivation of the land, and taken to gold-mining pursuits. The Native miners have, as a body, been remarkably successful, and have discovered many new gold-mining localities. Their earnings are frequently squandered in purchasing intoxicating liquors, or useless finery. Numbers of Natives have become deeply indebted to storekeepers, and others. The general result may be said to be an increase of lazy and vagabond habits.

There are certainly a few exceptions to this rule, but unfortunately too few.

2nd.Since the greater portion of the Native lands in the Middle Island have been purchased by the Crown, the Natives have been confined to their reserves. One of the consequences of this, and of being hemmed in by settlers, is that they are now unable to breed or run the pigs which, at one time, formed a large item of their income, and a staple article of their food. The same reason will also prevent them from ever possessing any very large quantity of horned cattle, or sheep.
3rd.Their cultivations, especially those of old people, who are unable to erect substantial fences, are frequently trespassed on by the cattle of their European neighbours. This helps to retard the progress of cultivation.
4th.But a very small proportion of the Native women rear children, and the idea has become deeply rooted into their minds, that the race is doomed to extinction. Reports have also, from time to time, been industriously circulated, that the Europeans intend to massacre them. The origin of many of these rumors may be traced to the North Island. The natural result is the creation of a desponding feeling.
5th.Sufficient facility does not appear to be afforded to Natives, who are desirious of investing money in the purchase of Crown lands. The regulation made by Sir George Grey, "that any Native residing in a district in which he had been one of the sellers of land to the Government, should be entitled to purchase land therein at ten shillings per acre," has been repealed, or rendered void by subsequent Provincial enactments. For example in the Province of Marlborough, a clause has been inserted in the Land regulations, "that Natives shall be permitted to purchase Crown lands not being town or suburban lands at the assessed price without the same being put up to auction." This can easily be rendered useless for the benefit of the Natives as the following instance will show.

In 1860, I was very desirous that the Ngatirarua and Rangitane of Wairau, should purchase some timbered land situated at Tua Marina, to enable them to procure fencing for their cultivations and open land on the bank of the River Wairau.

I found that two of these men had scrips for £50 each, which they had received from Mr. McLean, in part payment for their claims to land; and others had money at their disposal. I therefore proceeded to the Crown Lands Office at Blenheim, and informed the Commissioner that the Natives wished to purchase a certain block of land at Tua Marina, and which I marked in pencil on the map of that district. It was arranged by the Commissioner that the price would most probably be ten shillings, and certainly not more that £1 per acre. The next question was about surveying the land.

It was determined that the Government should send a Surveyor, and the Native should assist in cutting the lines. A memorandum was drawn out by me, showing the order in which the Natives were to select their blocks, when the Surveyor accompanied them to the spot. I left for Nelson, imagining the business was all arranged. On returning to Wairau, some months after, I found that some of the land applied for had been taken as a reserve for a proposed tramway, or railway between Picton and Blenheim, and that the remainder had, without survey, been assessed at £4 per acre. On expostulating with the Commissioner his answer was—"they did not want the Natives to form a settlement there." I have since on several occasions made applications on behalf of Natives wishing to acquire land by purchase from the Crown; and generally have had considerable difficulty in arranging matters to my satisfaction. This is not pleasant for the Officer on whom devolves the duty of protecting Native interests. Nor is such a course calculated to increase confidence in our Government. Many Natives consider it a breach of faith on the part of the Government in permitting the regulation, allowing them to purchase land at ten shillings per acre, to be repealed. Their argument being, that they would not have sold their lands so cheaply, but for the Government fixing the price at which they could repurchase from the Crown.

The above are some of the reasons which have prevented the Natives from progressing as much as was anticipated by some of their best friends. Much may also be traced as the natural consequence of a barbarous people being suddenly intermingled with a highly civilized race. It is not easy to page 139amalgamate a community, where the component elements of it dif so widely in character. It is far easier to prognosticate the ultimate degradation and extinction of the Maori, than to prescribe the proper course to be pursued to avert those evils.

3. Native King movement and the war.

The Natives of the Middle Island are outwardly very loyal, because they know they dare not be otherwise—the numerical disproportion between them and the settlers being so great. Their opinion of the King movement is that it was originated with a view to uniting the Maori as one people, and to them to hold the whole of their unsold land from being acquired by the Government.

Many secretly favour the King's policy, and consider that "he was quite justified in ejecting Mr. Gorst, and other magistrates from Waikato, from the King's land, the Governor having no 'mana' over unpurchased lands, and consequently no right to attempt to enforce the administrs [gap — reason: damaged] of justice in Native districts. The killing of soldiers at Oakura, by the Taranaki tribe, and of M[gap — reason: damaged]h and his son by the Waikato, is considered to be murder (kohuru)." In the first case, the Governor being merely occupying his own piece of land at Tataraimaka; in the second, the Governor had not commenced "fighting." These proceedings have been condemned by a large majority of the Natives.

Most exaggerated statements of the losses on the European side are constantly circulated by means of letters from Waikato Natives and their adherents. It is very difficult to persuade Natives of the incorrectness of these assertions.

4. Native Assessors and Native Runangas.

I have, for some time past, been carefully watching the proceedings of Native Assessors. The conclusion I have arrived at is that but a very small proportion of Native Assessors are fit to be intrusted with anything more than the slightest amount of authority, unless placed under the immediate supervision of a European magistrate. Regarding the action of self-constituted Native Runangas, presided over by Assessors, they seem, as far as my experience goes, to be an admirable institution for extorting money, and for making endless litigation. I have therefore done everything that lays in my power to discourage Runangas in every place under my control. The course I have pursued during the last three years has been to instruct the Assessors to act as arbitrators in all trivial disputes; in the event of a disagreement, for both parties to write or appeal to me, stating the case as clearly as possible. I then, if in the neighbourhood, arrange the dispute, or if absent at another part of the district, write for the guidance of the Assessors. In all cases of any importance the Assessors have been instructed to proceed to the nearest Resident Magistrate, and to supply him with information about the offence alleged to have been committed. I do not permit the Assessors who act as arbitrators in petty disputes, to charge costs; but merely to determine the amount of compensation (if any) due to the plaintiff. Formerly, the Assessors made quite a revenue for themselves by charging costs, and encouraged disputes for the sake of the money. The present system has a contrary effect, for there are fewer quarrels. The argument of the Assessors is, however, not unworthy of remark, they disapprove of my regulation, and say they now work for nothing, as they receive no remuneration from either the plaintiff, defendant, or the Government.

5. Native Reserves and the Individualization of Native Title.

The Native reserves in the Middle Island are of three classes:—

1st.Lands reserved from sale by the Natives themselves.
2nd.Lands reserved by the Government for Native occupation and cultivation.
3rd.Lands reserved by the New Zealand Company, and by the Government, for raising funds for various Native purposes.

The Natives residing at Kaikoura, Queen Charlotte's Sound, Pelorus, Motueka, Massacre Bay, and the West Coast, are very anxious that the reserves of the first and second class should be sub-divided; and that Crown grants, should be issued to each claimant, for his respective piece. I see no objection to this being done, on the contrary it would have a beneficial effect, as it would break up for ever, the system of several families living together in confined and unhealthy Pas. A family living on its own allotment of land would be likely to make greater improvements and advancement than when massed with others as joint cultivators. The only district in which I have carried out the system of sub-division of reserves is at Takaka; there it has answered very well. In arranging that question, I found the greatest difficulty was in persuading the Natives to give up innumerable small holdings, and to get them to understand that 18 acres in one block was better than the same quantity of land distributed over the whole reserve.

Preliminary steps have been taken in other districts, but my numerous duties and engagements have prevented my completing them, or bestowing that amount of attention on the subject which its importance demands. I consider that the sub-division and apportionment of these reserves among the occupants would be one of the best measures which could be adopted for promoting the welfare of the Native inhabitants of the Middle Island, and would assist more than any other in placing them on the same footing as the Europeans. There is nothing the Natives complain more loudly of than not having Crown grants for their lands.

With reference to the reserves of the third class, I would nor propose to hand these over to the Natives, except a few sections at Motueka, required in compensation for lands at Wakarewa, conveyed to the Church.

Many of these reserves are very valuable, and at Nelson yield a considerable annual income in the form of rents. There has not been, up to the present time, any fixed scheme of allotting or apportioning these funds. I would now suggest that all moneys accruing from this source in any page 140Province of the Middle Island should be treated as one fund, and should be divided into four-heads for the following purposes within that Island, viz:—

1st.For the payment of Medical Officers, and expenses incurred in the treatment of and relief of sick Natives.
2nd.General purposes for the advancement of the Natives—procuring improved agricultural implements, encouraging schools, obtaining useful and instructive books.
3rd.Rewards to Natives for improvements in house building, or for industry in cultivating land.
4thRelief of indigent and infirm Natives, provisions to Natives attending meeting called by the Government, travelling expenses of Native Assessors.

A fixed rule should be laid down that no Native should receive any present, except as a reward for services performed, or for something which he had done as a good example to his tribe. The indiscriminate making of presents, because of a friendly feeling towards particular Natives, is a source of much evil and jealousy.

I do not believe that Natives residing in the Middle Island require the same system of Government as their countrymen in the North Island, many of the latter not having obtained the same knowledge of European laws and customs as those residing in the Middle Island.

To effectually carry out the arrangements herein proposed for the sub-division of Native lands in the Middle Island, it would require the services of an officer experienced in Native affairs, with two competent Surveyors, and two labourers (one Native and one European), the latter to act as chainman and as constable when necessary.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

3rd October, 1863.