Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 10. — The Hon. Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury

page 120

No. 10.
The Hon. Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington, January 6th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose a copy of a letter which has been received from Mr. Mackay, in reference to an addition which the Natives at the mouth of Lake Ellesmere wish to have made to the reserve which they occupy at Taumutu.

It appears that the land upon which they are now settled is subject to inundations, and that the piece of land which they ask for, though of no great value for cultivation by Europeans, would from is elevated position be of considerable advantage to them.

At the time of the original purchase the Natives were promised that ample reserves would be made for them, and the Government is anxious that in any case where the reserves may have subsequently proved inadequate or unfit for occupation, the promise should be carried out, as is proposed in this instance by granting an additional piece of land.

Understanding that your Honor is willing that the grant of 30 acres proposed by Mr. Mackay should be made to the Taumutu Natives, I shall feel obliged if you will give directions that the land as shown on the attached tracing should be reserved from sale pending the preparation of the grant.

Instructions will be forwarded to Mr. Mackay to have the necessary plans prepared, and it will be expressly explained to the Natives and provided in the grant that no right of interference with the waters of Lake Ellesmere, or of constructing eel wiers to the detriment of the surrounding land will be conceded.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
Pro Colonial Secretary.

The Superintendent of Canterbury.