Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 8. — The Hon. H. J. Tancred, to the Under Secretary Native Department

No. 8.
The Hon. H. J. Tancred, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Wellington, October 11th, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge your letter of yesterday's date, requesting me to undertake the office of Commissioner of Native Reserves in the northern part of the Province of Canterbury, especially in connection with the Native reserves at Kaiapoi, more particularly with a view of carrying into effect the arrangements required previous to the issue of Crown Grants to Natives in that district.

page 108

In reply, I have the honour to state that I shall be happy to undertake the duty.

On my return to Canterbury, I will take the first opportunity of visiting Kaiapoi, and after conferring with Mr. Stack, I propose to communicate more fully than I am in a position to do at present as to any points on which I may think it desirable to receive instructions from the Government.

At present, the only question which occurs to me as one upon which it would be advisable that I should be in possession of the views of the Government, relates to the objects proposed to be attained by the imposition of any conditions at all on the leasing of the lands granted; and I should be obliged if you would inform me in what cases it would be the wish of the Government that I should object to the alienation, and the conditions I should require to be fulfilled.

Of course I only desire to have a general idea of the views of the Government upon these points, but I think that this information would be useful as an indication of the direction in which the authority proposed to be conferred upon me would be exercised most nearly in accordance with the general policy of the Government.

I would suggest further, that, with a view of placing me in possession of all the circumstances you should furnish me with any correspondence, or other documents calculated to throw light on past transactions.

In the meantime however, I will attend to the passing of the grants through the office of the Chief Commissioner of Waste Lands of the Province and through that of the Registrar.

I have, &c.,

Henry John Tancred.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.