Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to the Chief Land Purchase Commissioner

J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to the Chief Land Purchase Commissioner.

Kaiapoi, February 5th, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honour to report for His Excellency's information, that the Maoris of Port Levy, (Kokorarata) Rapaki and Kaiapoi, have this day by deed, surrendered to the Crown the remaining lands northward of Kaiapoi for the sum of £200.

The tract ceded comprises about 1,140,000 acres. It extends from Kaiapoi old Pah, and the page 20northern boundary of Messrs. Kemp and Mantell's purchase, made in 1848 and 1849, to the Waiau-ua, a distance of about 50 miles north and south; and from the Coast back to the sources of the Ashley, (Rakahauri) the Hurunui, and the Waiau-ua, where the waters of the East and West Coasts are divided,—being a distance of about 60 miles east and west. About 480,000 acres are situated in the Nelson Province; being north, and on the Nelson side of the River Hurunui, which forms the northern boundary line of Canterbury. The remaining 660,000 acres are situated in this Province, between the River Hurunui and the boundary line of Messrs. Kemp's and Mantell's purchase, above referred to.

I have previously stated my inability to obtain in this Province, the Deed of Sale by which I could distinctly learn how the Kaiapoi boundary line runs. The Natives did not seem at all clear about it, when stating that it runs from old Kaiapoi Pah, to "Mt. Thomas." This line would probably cross the Ashley far to the northward of its sources. To prevent any future doubts, and to ensure including all the remaining land of the Maoris within the purchase just completed, I bad the sources, of the Ashley named as the commencement of the inland boundary. Thus, part of a former purchase may appear to be over lapped by the present one. But the vendors are not thereby to be charged with fraud in twice selling the same land.

The vendors claimed no right over the land to the westward of the watershed of this portion of the Middle Island. They stated that the Arahura, on Putini, Natives own it. Consequently no reference to the West Coast country appears in the deed enclosed. Had I been able to communicate with the Arahura people, 1 should have endeavoured to include them in a negotiation for one general transfer of the lands between both Coasts.

My mission, it will be observed, was simply to treat with the Kaiapoi Maoris for the extinction of their title within this Province. But they understand nothing of our Intra-Provincial boundaries. My only proper course, so as to avoid difficulties now and at a future day, was, I conceive, to obtain whatever land they were willing to sell, irrespective of mere arbitary lines of demarcation set up by ourselves.

I should have experienced much less difficulty in negotiating with the Maoris, had a wider discretion been allowed me, especially in regard to money. It is unfortunate, I think, that the sum of £500 or £600 was not at my disposal; as I feel convinced that for such sum I could have concluded one general purchase of the whole country; for the remaining unsold portion of which separate treaties must now be entered into with the Kaikoura and Arahura Maoris.

I have incurred the responsibility of adding £50 to the £150 recommended in Mr. Johnson's Memorandum to be set apart for the Kaiapoi purchase. In my letter of 8th January, conveying the Chief Kaikoura's, offer to His Excellency, I brought forward the strongest primâ facie evidence that the Ngaitahu tribes were the only rightful owners of the country of Kaiapoi. That the question may be understood in its details, and the fairest consideration given to it, it seems right that I should subjoiu the following minutes of the proceedings at Kaiapoi.