Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 4. — Mr. H. T. Kemp to Mr. Gisborne

No. 4.
Mr. H. T. Kemp to Mr. Gisborne.

Wellington, 20th June, 1848.

Sir,

In continuation of my despatch addressed to you on the 19th instant, I beg to state, with reference to the reserves intended for the Natives in the newly acquired block of land between the Kaikouras and Otago, that in obedience to the Lieutenant-Governor's instructions their pas and cultivations have been guaranteed to them as expressed in the deed of sale; they are, generally speaking, of comparatively small extent. Beyond these I have not felt myself authorized in making any guarantee, and, with the consent of the people, have thought it better to leave the subject to be considered and decided upon between the Government and the Company, so soon as the survey of the district shall take place.

By a reference to the map accompanying the deed of sale, His Excellency will perceive that while there are several Native settlements upon the line of coast between Akaroa and Otago, the inhabitants are but small in number, and, as they are widely scattered, I saw there would be great difficulty in inducing them to concentrate into one or even two blocks. In the event, therefore, of its being decided upon by the Government that they should have blocks reserved adjoining each of the settlements, I think there would be then but little obstacle and little or no interference with the interests of the Company in the division and survey of the district.

The Natives clearly admit to have sold the whole of Banks Peninsula to the French Company. With the resident Natives chiefly at Port Cooper and Pigeon Bay, I did not think it advisable on this account to enter into any arrangements with regard to the reserves, and knowing also that the question was one at present pending between the English and French Governments. My impression is, that no definite reserves were made for them by the French Agent at the time of sale, and that they continue to occupy the cultivation grounds they formerly did, and without any limitation whatever.

At each of the Native settlements marked on the map the number of the inhabitants is also given, which may serve hereafter for a guide as to the quantity of land it may be thought desirable to set apart for their use; a matter which I believe may be easily and finally settled as the surveys of the coast line progress.

I have, &c.,

H. Tacy Kemp,
Commissioner pro tem.

William Gisborne, Esq., Private Secretary.