Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 23. — His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Eyre to Mr. William Fox

No. 23.
His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Eyre to Mr. William Fox.

Government House, Wellington, 26th February, 1849.

Sir,

Adverting to my letter to the late Colonel Wakefield, of the 1st of August, 1848, in which I gave a brief outline of the general steps I proposed taking (in accordance with the wish expressed by him in the communication of the 24th June, 1848,) to complete the adjustment of those points connected with the purchase of land in the Middle Island which had been left indefinite or incomplete by Mr. Kemp, I have now the honor to inform you that those steps have been carried out, and that the Commissioner who was appointed by the Government for the purpose (Mr. W. Mantell) has returned to Wellington, after crossing overland the whole eastern boundary of the purchase, and setting apart and defining such reserves as he considered necessary for the present and future wants of the Native, supon seeing and consulting with them on the spot. I beg to enclose copies of all the correspondence, and the documents relative to Mr. Mantell's mission, commencing with the instructions given to him for his guidance, and bearing date the 2nd August, 1848, but which were somewhat modified in one or two particulars by direction of His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, bearing date 4th of October, 1848; each comprising all Mr. Mantell's letters and reports, and finally closing with the Colonial Secretary's letter of the 13th February, 1849, directing Mr. Mantell to carry out and complete the payment of the second instalment, as recommended in his final report of the 13th February, 1849.

The instructions and reports will so fully put you in possession of the views entertained by the Government, and of the manner in which Mr. Mantell endeavoured to carry out these views, that it is unnecessary for me to enter further into details now. I cannot, however, dismiss the subject without recording the high opinion I entertain of the very careful and zealous manner in which Mr. Mantell has discharged the difficult and laborious task assigned to him, and of the very able and cordial assistance and co-operation afforded to him by Mr. Wills.

I have, &c.,

E. Eyre.

W. Fox, Esq.