Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 16. — Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary

No. 16.
Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary.

Te Punaoamaru, Waitaki, 8th November, 1848.

Sir,

An opportunity offering of sending a letter overland to Akaroa, I do myself the honor of reporting to you, for the information of His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, my progress to this date, though the probability that a letter sent by this route may be lost will compel me to do so in as brief a manner as possible.

Since the date of my last communication I have laid out reserves at the Te Taumutu, Te Umukaha, and at Caroline Bay, Timaru, the latter consisting of a few houses in exchange for huts and cultivations, situated in that part of the bay most valuable as a landing-place.

From the Umukaha I wrote to the Natives of this place, who had gone to Waikouaiti, requesting them to return; but my letter not having reached them, I found on the river, on the 23rd of October last, that all the kaikas were deserted, and no food procurable. I therefore proceeded to a sheep station thirty miles south, and sent another letter to the Waitaki Natives, with a deputation from whom I again reached this place yesterday evening.

I have to-day arranged a reserve, of which the survey is nearly completed, and shall to-morrow visit a small bush, of which the Natives wish a portion for firewood. The next day I hope to resume my journey south.

When the reserves south of Waikouaiti shall be completed, I purpose visiting Otakou, to ascertain the exact position of the south-eastern boundary of this purchase, and returning thence to arrange the remaining reserves.

To the above outline of my proceedings I would add an earnest request to be favoured with the presence at Akaroa of some gentleman thoroughly conversant with the Native language, that I may avail myself of his assistance in drawing out the deed of sale, which I should wish to have as perfect as possible.

I have, &c.,

Walter Mantell.
The Private Secretary.