Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 75. — The Hon. J. C. Richmond to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell

No. 75.
The Hon. J. C. Richmond to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell.

Wellington, 22nd August, 1867.

Sir,—

Although by legal position of the Native claimants to Princes Street Reserve is in no way affected by the answer to your questions of yesterday, I can have no objection in answering.

The arrangement referred to by me in my letter of the 19th was, that the Colonial Treasurer should, if duly authorized, pay the accrued rents of the reserve to the Provincial Government, but without prejudice to any rights that the Native claimants might have over the estate and proceeds. It was further intimated to those who represented the Province in the matter that the Government would interpose no obstacle in the way of the Native claimants in bringing their claims into Court, but would remain absolutely passive, giving none but the usual formal assistance to their suit.

I beg to remind you that the conversation with which I was favored on the subject of your letter of the 7th precluded the necessity of a written answer.

I have, &c.,

The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell, M.L.C., Wellington.

J. C. Richmond.