Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Crown Lands Office, Otago, 4th December, 1854.

Sir,

I have the honor to acknowledge your letter of 3rd November ultimo, No. 381, announcing the receipt of the original deed of purchase of the Murihiku Block, and conveyance of Section No. 401, Port Chalmers, and enclosing a memorandum of the Attorney-General's approval of the deed.

The peculiar circumstances under which I had the honor (18th August, 1853) to report the conclusion of that purchase obliged me to defer the acknowledgment that in its preparation I received great assistance from H. C. Hertslet, Esq., J.P., a gentleman whose knowledge of the Native language is perhaps not exceeded in this Province.

The section at Port Chalmers having been purchased to complete the Native Reserve there, I take this opportunity of suggesting the advisability of certified plans of those reserves, according to those enclosed in my letter of 18th April, 1853, being transmitted to this office as a record of the approval of the Governor-in-Chief.

I have, &c.,

The Hon. Colonial Secretary, Auckland.

Walter Mantell.