Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 61. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Honor the Superintendent, Otago

No. 61.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Honor the Superintendent, Otago.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington, 24th July, 1867.

Sir,—

I am advised that as the Princes Street Reserve is vested in you as Superintendent, you only, and not the Corporation of Dunedin, can be recognized as the recipient of the rents.

I am also advised that as proceedings are threatened, and are, it is believed, about to be commenced, with a view to obtaining a declaration of the invalidity and cancellation of the Crown Grant of these lands, I should not be justified in handing over these rents except upon an undertaking from you, as Superintendent, on behalf of the Province, that in the event of the Crown Grant being declared invalid in a Court of competent jurisdiction or by the Legislature, or in the event of the right or title of any persons other than yourself, as Superintendent, to these moneys being established in a Court of competent jurisdiction, or declared by an Act of the Legislature, the moneys paid over will be refunded to the Colonial Treasurer. I shall also require a similar undertaking, in general terms, to guarantee the Crown and Government of New Zealand against all claims which may be made in consequence of the payment of these moneys to you as Superintendent.

On receiving from your Government a communication to the effect that it undertakes the guarantee above mentioned, I will cause the rents to be paid over to the Provincial Treasury.

I have, &c.,

His Honor the Superintendent, Otago.

E. W. Stafford.