Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Replies to Queries proposed by the Select Committee of the Provincial Council upon Message No. 4

Replies to Queries proposed by the Select Committee of the Provincial Council upon Message No. 4

1.I am the Resident Magistrate of Dunedin, and Commissioner for Native Reserves for the Province of Otago.
2.I first arrived in this Province in the month of April, 1848.
3.I have no knowledge of the purpose for which the piece of land referred to was originally laid off. As one of the general public, I was always led to understand it was a Public Reserve.
4.I do not know when the reserve was originally laid off, nor by whose authority it was so done.
5 and 6.I recollect being informed, I think in the year 1853, by Mr. Mantell, the then Commissioner of Crown Lands for this Province, that he had recommended for the consideration of the Governor-in-Chief, that the piece of land indicated should be appropriated as a Native Reserve; and I also recollect Mr. Mantell subsequently informing me that his suggestion had been approved of, and that the land was consequently set apart for the purposes of a Native Reserve.
Dunedin, 4th May, 1865.

A. Chetham-Strole.