Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 36. — The Hon. the Postmaster-General to His Honor the Superintendent a, Otago

No. 36.
The Hon. the Postmaster-General to His Honor the Superintendent a, Otago.

Dunedin, 13th April, 1865.

Sir,—

Before leaving Wellington, the Hon. the Colonial Secretary requested me to place myself in communication with your Honor on the subject of the Princes Street Reserve adjoining the Manse property.

It appears from certain correspondence on the subject of the reserve in question, that a Mr. Clarke had been deputed some months since to investigate into the subject, and that he had placed himself in communication with the Provincial Government, in order to ascertain the nature of the claim urged by it.

In his report Mr. Clarke states that he could not obtain any information; that he arranged to inquire again at a subsequent period; that on inquiry at that time he was still unprovided with any claim; and the Government therefore have arrived at the conclusion that no claim exists on the part of the Provincial Government.

I have therefore to intimate to your Honor that in the meantime steps are being taken to vest the property in the hands of trustees for the Natives of the Province, and to apply the rents which have been received. It will be evident to your Honor, that should any claim exist on the part of the Provincial Government, not a mail should be lost in making it known to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

page 128

I shall feel obliged to your Honor if you would acknowledge the receipt of this communication, and, if deemed necessary, by your communicating direct with the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

I have, &c.,

J. Richardson, Postmaster-General.

His Honor J. Hyde Harris, Dunedin.