Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 35. — His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 35.
His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Province of Otago, New Zealand, Dunedin, 13th April, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter No. of the 29th ultimo, on the subject of certain lands in Princes Street, Dunedin, in which I am requested to furnish a statement of any claims which may have been preferred, or are preferred by the Provincial Government thereto. I now beg to forward the enclosed copy of a letter which I have this day addressed to the Hon. the Postmaster-General in reply to a communication which he did me the honor to address me on the subject, from which you will gather the grounds upon which I formed the opinion that the Provincial Government is entitled to the lands referred to, and in which you will also find my protest on behalf of this Province against any act whereby they may be transferred to trustees or otherwise for Native purposes.

I have, &c.,

J. Hyde Harris, Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.