Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 33. — The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 33.
The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Crown Lands Office, Dunedin, 15th February, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honor to draw your attention to my letter accompanying a petition from the licensees of the Princes Street Reserves, praying that their rents may be reduced. As the period has expired for which the licenses were issued, it is very desirable that I should be in a position to inform the licensees whether a deduction will or will not be made, they being unwilling to pay the rent until the question is definitely settled. I have also the honor to request definite instructions as to the disposal of the funds. By the instructions of the Honorable Reader Wood, then Colonial Treasurer, page 127I was directed to pay the rents of the Princes Street Reserves into a bank to a separate account, to abide the decision of whether the reserve was a reserve for the Natives, or a reserve for the construction of a quay. The Honorable T. B. Gillies, then Postmaster-General, by letter, directed me to pay the balance then in the Bank to the Sub-Treasurer, which I did. Subsequently, the Honorable Mr. Fitzherbert, Colonial Treasurer, without communicating with me, directed the Sub-Treasurer to call upon me to pay over any balance in the Bank, which was done, a sum of £952 14s. 5d. being paid to the Sub-Treasurer on that day, closing the year's account. But as funds will still be accruing, I am desirous of receiving instructions as to their disposal. I have to observe that I have granted licenses for the occupation of the reserves as Commissioner of Crown Lands; and by "The Crown Lands Act, 1862," clause 15, I am bound to hand over the proceeds of licenses to occupy Crown lands to the Receiver of Land Revenue, instead of which I have been directed to pay the money to the Sub-Treasurer, and in no case have the instructions come through my superior officer, the Secretary for Crown Lands.

If the reserves in question be not Crown land, I had no power to deal with it. If it be Crown land, then I have paid the funds to a wrong account, upon the instructions of the Postmaster-General. This is an unpleasantly awkward position to be placed in, and I trust I may be relieved from it as early as possible by definite instructions from you.

I have, &c.,

W. H. Cutten,
Commissioner of Crown Lands.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.