Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 2. — The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Civil Secretary

No. 2.
The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Civil Secretary.

Crown Lands Office, Dunedin, 18th April, 1853.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 9th December ultimo, No. 1,198, directing me to send up plans of such reserves at Dunedin and Port Chalmers as I would recommend for the use of the Natives, I have the honor to enclose two tracings.

1.The first (at Dunedin) shows the only suitable piece of land now vacant; although steep towards the water it has (at x on the tracing) a spot where the Natives could easily construct a place for their boats to lie.
2.The second (at Port Chalmers) includes about 1¼ acre of land so precipitous that almost the only available part for building is the triangular portion of sections 402 and 403, included by the dotted line on the tracing.

I would therefore recommend that section 402, tinted on the Government Surveyor's plan as part of the Church Reserve, to which it does not seem at all necessary, be made part of the Native Reserve. Section 401 could be purchased at from £20 to £25, and would give the Natives a small frontage for their boats and a good supply of fresh water. Westward of this the land is almost perpendicular.

I have, &c.,

Walter Mantell,
Commissioner.

The Civil Secretary, &c.

, Wellington.