Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 27. — Memorandum by Mr. Dillon Bell for the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 27.
Memorandum by Mr. Dillon Bell for the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mr.Fox,—

While I was at Otago the Superintendent and Mr. Cutten spoke to me about the Native Reserve at Dunedin fronting the Harbour and Princes Street, which Sir George Grey made on Mr. Mantell's recommendation many years ago, and which the Provincial Government have objected to as being made without due authority. When the gold fields were discovered the land of course rose enormously in value, and Mr. Cutten was desired to let the frontages from year to year. He has now in hand about £6,000 from this source. If Mr. Clarke can go into the matter with the Provincial Government and Mr. Cutten it would be very desirable, but I advise his only being authorized to report to you as the interest involved is so large.

The Taieri Natives wrote to me offering to sell the Government a portion of their reserve at the ferry, which is the best site in that locality for a township. Mr. Clarke might be authorized to treat with them for the cession.

If it would be any convenience to you that I should take any steps in these matters prior to Mr. Clarke's return, I need not say that I shall be very glad to do anything you wish.

April 1st, 1864

F.D.Beil.