Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 17. — The Native Secretary to the Commissioners for Native Reserves, Otago

No. 17.
The Native Secretary to the Commissioners for Native Reserves, Otago.

Native Secretary's Department, Auckland, 7th December, 1861.

Gentlemen,—

The attention of the Government having lately been drawn by Mr. Mantell to various questions connected with the Native Reserves in the Province of Otago, they have had under their consideration the necessity of issuing rules under section four of the Native Reserves Act for the guidance of the Commissioners. As these rules will probably be forthwith framed and published, I am desired to convey to you in the meanwhile the wish of the Government that no step whatever may be taken by you as to dealing with any of the reserves until the receipt of a further communication which will be made to you by the next mail.

In the meantime I am to request that you will at your earliest convenience transmit to me a statement in a tabular form of every transaction which has been entered into by yourselves as Commissioners under the Act.

I am, &c.,

T. H. Smith,
Native Secretary.

The Commissioners, Native Reserves, Otago.