Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Dunedin, 6th March, 1857.

Sir,—

With reference to your despatch, as per margin, on the subject of my letter of 26th June,No. 39, Feb. 11, 1856 transmitting a map of Dunedin, showing the Public Reserves that had been made by the New Zealand Company for the general purposes declared in section 12 of the "Terms of Purchase," and of my further letter of the 15th September following, enclosing duplicate of the same map in parchment, and requesting that these reserves might be granted in cumulo to the Superintendent as a Corporation, in order to be applied to the purposes as set forth in the "Terms of Purchase."

In your said despatch you state that His Excellency is advised that he would not be justified in granting land upon trust for the public service generally, but that the particular object for which the grant is made, as for instance for the site of a church or chapel, or cemetery, &c., should be specified.

I have therefore the honor to transmit a series of maps, eleven in number; in order that the lands may be severally granted as specified in the Schedule. And with respect to the last paragraph of your despatch, I have to observe that the reserves for fortifications, as shown on the original map of the town and harbour, are the Islands at Port Chalmers, and the commanding position, Tairoa's Head, at the mouth of the harbour.

With respect to the annexed Schedule, I have the honor to propose that Nos. 4, 5, and 10 be granted to the Rev. Thomas Burns and William Cargill, as trustees on behalf of the Presbytery of Otago, and each of Nos. 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, and 11 to the Superintendent as a Corporation, and No. 8 either to the same or such other party as may be named by the Governor.

I have, &c.,

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland. Wm. Cargill.