Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 2 in No. 6. — Mr. F. Tuckett to Mr. D. Wakefield

Enclosure 2 in No. 6.
Mr. F. Tuckett to Mr. D. Wakefield.

Otago, 13th June, 1844.

Sir,—

I beg you will communicate to the Government representative J. J. Symonds, Esq., that I wish to effect a purchase of the 150,000 acres allowed for the settlement of New Edinburgh in a district interjacent between the harbour of Otago and the South Headland (Tokata) of Molyneux Bay (Karoro), the precise limits of such 150,000 acres to be defined hereafter on execution of an actual survey; the reserves in such limits, if any are required to be defined by the sellers. It would greatly facilitate a clear understanding with the present proprietors, if a continuous block of land, equal to about twelve miles in its extreme breath, in a course inland about due West by compass might be acquired.

In the accompanying plan of my route, such a block of land is indicated the space coloured red and green; the former represents the land I would survey and subdivide into sections, the latter that which I consider ineligible for occupation. The boundaries, as nearly as I can define them in words, are along either shore of Otago Harbour, from the entrance to the head, the summit ridge from which the water flows to the harbour, or, if preferred, say one mile back from the shore of the harbour, of which, on an average, not more than half a mile would be available.

Proceeding inland to the head of the Taiari Valley, I would propose the adoption of the same natural boundary of the summit of the ridge from whence the water flows south-[gap — reason: damage]east and [gap — reason: damage]outh to the page 102coast by the valley of the Kailkarai or Green River, and the plain of the Taiarir; the same inland boundary (summit ridge) on the west of the Taiari and Tokamariro Plains to the bank of the River Matau, from thence continuing the western boundary a straight line from the upper extremity of the survey of three miles up the valley of the Matau to the head of the Puerua; from the head or source of the Puerua as a south-western boundary to the bed of the stream called Karoro, to the sea shore; along the sea shore from one mile north-west of the head of Otago Harbour to the south headland of Molyneux Bay or Karoro, the eastern boundary is the ocean, on which frontage the land proposed to be subdivided into sections is coloured red, nowhere extending inland more than one mile.

Remarks on the District.

Immediately south of the mouth of the Karoro, Molyneux Bay, on the sea shore, three or four good houses have been erected, two of which are occupied, the one by Mr. Wiltshire, the other by Mr. Russell; the former the agent of some party in Sydney, the latter as proprietor of land which he purchased of the same party in Sydney.

Mr. Wiltshire has cleared and partially cultivated about 10 acres of land; Russell less than half that quantity; they have no acknowledged claim.

Immediately north of the mouth of the Karoro, also on the sea shore, reside a few Maoris, vis., Toki, the widow of Tahu, formerly the chief of Karoro; Makawai, a young woman; Maihou and Touwere, aged men; Kaki-kaki and Tohitu, young men; also three children. They have lately erected some new houses of improved construction, and have a few acres of land adjoining under cultivation. These, with Te Raki and Kuri, of the Taiari, who reside at the Taiari, are the only aboriginal residents; Tuawhaiki was born on the banks of the Matarua, and considers himself as almost sole proprietor.

Another tribe of Maoris once occupied this district, and were very numerous, but exceedingly unwarlike; they were rapidly exterminated by the present power, the Kaitahu, and this within the present century. I wish it to be clearly stated in the deed of purchase, or clearly explained to the Maoris and recorded, that the names of such Maoris as are now actually resident and occupiers of land within the district described, and that other Maoris cannot, after the land is paid for, reside within the district, excepting on such land as may be specially reserved for the present residents or others.

The two clearings of Te Raki are near the mouth of the Taiari; the other, on the plain on the east bank of the river, I have not coloured, supposing he would not part with them; otherwise, the latter I should like to acquire. The Native proprietors at Otago are, I believe, known to Mr. Symonds. I do not wish to acquire any of their usual places of residence at the entrance of the harbour; but of a point occupied as a whaling station, and thence inland on the east side of the harbour, on which many Europeans reside, I consider it important that I should be put in possession, either by the Magistrate or the aboriginal proprietors. I request you will also communicate with Mr. Symonds on another subject. The practice of squatting on lands purchased by the New Zealand Company has been a source of much trouble in all the former settlements; here, unless some rigorous measures are pursued, the evil will be greatly increased on the arrival of adventurers prior to the emigrants. I have already written to the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company, requesting that an advertisement may be inserted in the Nelson Examiner and Wellington Gazette, cautioning all persons that no employment will be given to any by the Company's Resident Agent who erect houses on the lands purchased by the Company for the settlement of New Edinburgh prior to the distribution of the sections. Colonel Wakefield requests me to avail myself of your assistance in communicating with Mr. Symonds respecting the purchase of land, which I do with great pleasure, after the very unpleasant termination of my previous intercourse with him; but Colonel Wakefield seems not to authorize me to request you to prepare a deed of purchase, except in the event of the present proprietors being of the European race; in his words, "and if necessary, by preparing proper documents for binding white claimants to any bargain you may hereto make for the cession to the Company of their lands as allowed by the Commissioner."

I desire also to be informed, as early as convenient, when it will suit Mr. Symonds to carry into effect his proposed inspection, with the present proprietors, of the district which I desire to purchase for the New Zealand Company, and have delineated as accurately as I can in the accompanying sketch, in order that I may make timely arrangements with Mr. Barnicoat and Mr. Davison, as my representatives, to accompany him, the former being conversant with the district but about to return to Nelson unless I should have occasion for his services on the contemplated excursion. It is also my desire to attempt a negotiation with the Natives for the purchase as early as possible, that I may see what chance there is of a reasonable understanding, to forward my despatches to and obtain from Wellington the money or goods required for completing the purchase.

As soon as it may be done without prejudice to the completion of the purchase of land for the Scotch settlement, I will return to you the correspondence of Major Richmond and others, sent through you for my information, as my ideas of propriety and truth suggest.

In the interim, I beg to assure you that I regard him as little as Mordecai did Haman; but, considering the insulting nature of the information, I cannot suppress the expression of my surprise that it should have been communicated to me by any one acting in the service of the New Zealand Company.

I have, &c.,

Frederick Tuckett,
as Agent for New Edinburgh.

D. Wakefield, Esq.