Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 8 in No. 5. — His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to Mr. J. J. Symonds, Police Magistrate, Wellington

Enclosure 8 in No. 5.
His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to Mr. J. J. Symonds, Police Magistrate, Wellington.

Wellington, 18th May, 1844.

Sir,—

Having referred your letter of the 1st instant to the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company, I have now the honor to enclose a copy of a communication addressed to Mr. Tuckett, together with two extracts from letters, which will be delivered to him by Mr. Daniel Wakefield, who is commissioned by his brother to proceed with you to New Munster.

Should these instructions be disregarded, and you find that the Company's Agent undertakes any survey without your permission and against your remonstrance, or should adopt any measure which you may deem calculated to bring about another collision between our countrymen and the aborigines, you are hereby directed either to suspend all further negotiations between the New Zealand Company's Agent and the Natives for the acquisition of the land until you again communicate with me, or exert your authority as Police Magistrate to enforce obedience to your instructions (which can easily be effected by swearing in special constables from the crew of one of the vessels at Otago), whichever mode in your opinion will be best adapted to meet the emergency, and maintain a friendly intercourse with the Natives.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

J. J. Symonds, Esq.