Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 4.]

No. 4.

His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to His Excellency the Governor, &c., Auckland.

Wellington, April 3, 1844.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report that Mr. Symonds embarked yesterday in the schooner "Deborah," for New Munster, to superintend and assist in effecting the purchase of land by the New Zealand Company, agreeably to the instructions he received from your Excellency.

As I learnt there ware two surveyors on board attached to Mr. Tuckett, the agent selected to conduct this purchase, and as Mr. Symonds expressed himself apprehensive that an attempt would be made to survey the land before the arrangements were completed, I took an opportunity, when the Principal Agent of the. New. Zealand Company was present, to distinctly and positively forbid Mr. Tuckett proceeding with any survey until the land was alienated by the Natives, and permission given him by the Government officer who was intrusted to superintend the negotiations; and in order that no misunderstanding might exist on the subject, I gave Mr. Symonds the letter of which the enclosed is a copy.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

His Excellency the Governor, &c, Auckland

page 97

Enclosure in No. 4.
His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to Mr. J. J. Symonds, Assistant Police Magistrate, Wellington.

Wellington, 2nd April, 1844.

Sir,—

You are clearly to understand that in superintending the purchase of land by the New Zealand Company in the Middle Island, no survey is to be proceeded with by its agent, or any one employed by him, until you are perfectly satisfied that the land has been alienated by the aborigines, and purchased by him on behalf of the Company.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

J. J. Symonds, Esq.