Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 6. — Mr. Alexander Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 6.
Mr. Alexander Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Nelson, 10th July, 1868.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter No. 676, of 9th December, 1867, informing me that an advance of £50 had been authorized to enable me to pay the Natives for two acres at White's Bay required for the Telegraph Station, I have the honor to inform you that the matter has been completed, and beg to enclose herewith, in support of the payment, a copy of the receipt given by the Natives for the amount in question, the original of which has been forwarded to the Treasury.

Owing to my being absent at the time your letter was received, I was unable to complete the transaction at that date; and on my return to Nelson in March last, finding that I would not visit the Wairau in person, owing to my services being required at Christchurch at an early date, I considered it advisable, in order to effect a final settlement of the matter without further delay, to remit the amount to the Resident Magistrate at Blenheim for payment to the Natives, as they were getting impatient at the money not being forthcoming before.

I have, &c.,
Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary,
Native Department, Wellington.

page 332