Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary

No. 3.
Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood,27th September, 1862.

Sir,—

Referring to your letter of the 5th March last, enclosing an extract from the deed of cession of Native lands in the Middle Island, with the plan annexed thereto, I have the honor to inform you that the boundaries of the Taitapu Reserve as shown on that plan do not at all correspond with the position of the same on the ground, as described in the body of the deed. The southern boundary at Te Iwituaroa is erroneously placed north of the River Awaruatohu, instead of being south of it, at Kahurangi Point.

page 324

I do myself the honor to enclose a sketch plan, which indicates the position of the boundaries as described in the deed. The portion coloured yellow is also claimed by the Natives, they asserting it was arranged for the sea to be the boundary from the mouth of the River Mangamangarakau to the Iwituaroa Range at Kahurangi Point.

According to the Native version, the other boundaries are the Iwituaroa Range from Kahurangi Point to the watershed of the Whakamarama Range; thence along the latter to the source of the River Mangamangarakau; thence down that river to the sea.

The description in the deed is very vague, which may be attributed to the fact that, at the time of its execution, the district of Taitapu was comparatively unknown. The same also applies to the plan attached to it, which could not be accurate, as the land had not been surveyed, neither has it been to the present time. The tracing now forwarded is copied from a sketch map made by myself in 1857, and presented to the Provincial Government.

If it should be deemed advisable to adopt the boundaries as defined in the plan now forwarded, I have the honor to request that this intention may be communicated to me as early as possible, so as to prevent any misunderstanding arising with the Natives. There might be such in the event of the extension of the diggings, of which there seems every pros pect.

The accounts received from the Taitapu Gold Field may be considered as satisfactory, and new discoveries of auriferous country have been made. The number of persons at present engaged in gold mining may be estimated at thirty-five, principally Natives.

I have, &c.,
Jakes Mackay, Junr.
Assistant Native Secretary.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.