Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 8.]

No. 8.

Ngatiawa Deed of Sale.

Tenei Pukapuka tuku whenua i tuhituhia ki Ngamotu i tenei ra, ara i te rua (2) o nga ra o Maehe i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano ewaru rau e rima te kau ma wha (1854) he tino whakaae pono na matou na nga rangatira me nga tangata o Ngatiawa kia tukua rawatia tetahi wahi o to matou whenua ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi, ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei i muri iho iaia ake tonu atu.

No. 512.Deed of Sale.£200.Ngatiawa Tribe ceding claims to land in Queen Chariotte Sound and Wairau Districts.Executed at New Plymouth, 2nd March, 1854. A mo to matou Whakaaetanga kia tino tukua rawatia tenei taha o to matou whenua e whakaae ana hoki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi mona kia homai e ia ki a matou nga pauna moni e rua rau, takitahi (£200) kua riro mai hoki aua moni ki a matou i tenei ra na Te Makarini i homai. Heoi rawa nga utu ki a matou mo tenei wahi whenua e tukua ana e matou ki te Kuini i tenei ra.

Ka timata te rohe o te Whakarua ki tai ki te Karaka ka ahu whakauta ki te Piripiri whakamau atu ki Tokomaru, whakamau atu ki Iringatau, whakamau atu ki Wairau ka mutu ki reira, ka timata te rohe o tahatai ki te Karaka, ka haere Waikawa, ka haere te Ihumoeone, ka haere te Wera o Waitohi ka haere te Tukurehu, ka haere Kaipupu, ka haere te Mimi o Kupe, katahi ko ahu whakauta te rohe o te tonga ka whakamau ki te Tara o te Marama whakamau atu ki Otamau whakamau atu ki Tuamarino, whakamau atu ki Pukakaho, whakamau atu ki Wairau, ko tona mutunga tenei, a ka waiho ko Wairau te rohe o uta. Heoi kua oti rawa i a matou, tenei whenua te tuku rawa atu ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi, ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei i muri iho i a ia, i tenei ra e whiti nei, a ake tonu atu, a mo to matou whakaaetanga ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei pukapuka ka whakapiria iho o matou ingoa me o matou tohu.

A mo te whakaaetanga o te Kuini o Ingarangi, ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei pukapuka ka tuhia iho te ingoa o Te Makarini te kai whakariterite whenua o te Kawana of Niu Tironi.

Donald McLean, Commissioner.
Wiremu Kingi x Witi.
Enoka Kingi Taihuru.
Wiremu Ropata Kaupane.
Manihera Te Mutu.
Horomona Te Ahu.
Eruera Kingi Tuware.
Matiaha Kite.
Hare Hemi Te Paea.
Paranihi Tukoko.
Raniera Mokaiharanui.
Aperahama Te Kani.

Kai titiro ki tenei homaitanga utu me enei tuhinga ingoa—

G. S. Cooper, Sub Land Commissioner, Taranaki.
H. Halse, Sub-Inspector of Police, Taranaki.
W. Carrington, Surveyor, New Plymouth.
Te Ngahuru, Kaiwakawa.
Ko Te Tana.

[Translation.]

This deed of sale made at Ngamotu on the second day of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-four, is a true and perfect consenting on the part of us the chiefs and people of the Ngatiawa Tribe, to surrender for ever to Victoria, the Queen of England, a portion of our land at Queen Charlotte Sound, or to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever.

page 309

And for this the giving of our consent to sell a portion of this our land, Victoria, the Queen of England, agrees on her part to pay us the sum of two hundred pounds (£200) in money, which we have this day received at the hands of Mr. McLean, this being the full and final payment for the portion of the land we have this day given over to the Queen.

The boundary to the North commences on the coast at a point called Te Karaka; it then takes an inland direction as far as Piripiri, from thence to Tokamaru, from thence to Iringatau, from thence to Wairau. It stops there. Then the boundary commences on the coast at Te Karaka, from thence to Waikawa, from thence to Ihumeone, from thence to Te Wera o Waitohi, from thence to Tukurehu, from thence to Kaipapu, from thence to the Mimi o Kupe. From thence the southern boundary bears an inland direction until it reaches Ta-rao Timarama, from thence to Otamau, from thence to Tuamarino, from thence to Pukakake, from thence to Wairau; here it finishes. The Wairau then becomes the boundary inland.

Thus have we entirely given over and surrendered this land to Queen Victoria, the Queen of England, or to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her hereafter, under the shining sun of the present day.

And having consented to all the conditions contained in this paper, we hereunto affix our names and marks. And the Queen of England having consented to all the conditions contained in this paper, Mr. McLean, the Governor of New Zealand's Land Commissioner, hereunto signs his name.

[Here follow the signatures.]