Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 1. — The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Nelson, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 1.
The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Nelson, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Auckland 14th September, 1854.

Sir,—

It is now upwards of a year since His Excellency Sir George Grey intimated that Mr. McLean should be ordered to Nelson for the purpose of completing and carrying out with the Natives the details of the purchase of the land on the Pelorus, Queen Charlotte Sound, and the West Coast of the Middle Island Communications have been made by both His Honor the Superintendent and myself, bringing under the notice of the General Government that considerable discontent existed page 294among the Natives inhabiting these districts at their not having been consulted about the sale, and their objections in some instances to be parties to it. I therefore am apprehensive that if the final arrangements are not immediately made with them, considerable difficulty and embarrassment will arise, perhaps even to the repudiation of the sale. Under these circumstances, I beg to suggest that when Mr. McLean has completed the business which has taken him to New Plymouth he may be directed to proceed to Nelson for the object above specified, and I shall be happy, should His Excellency concur in this suggestion, to be the bearer of an authority for him to cross over to Nelson in the steamer, in the event of it being in his power to do so.

I have &c.,

M. Richmond,
Commissioner of Crown Lands.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary Auckland.