Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington

No. 3.
The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson 21st May, 1852.

Sir,—

Referring to my letter of the 5th January, on the subject of the purchase of the block of land in Massacre Bay there alluded to, I have the honor to report for the information of the Governor-in-Chief that His Excellency's instructions have now been carried out, and the purchase completed to the satisfaction of the Natives residing in the district, as well as all others who we could learn had any interest in the land; indeed, the greatest pains have been taken, and every information sought, in order that no claimant, however small his interest, should be left out.

The accompanying documents testify the fulfilment of the negotiation, and the concurrence of the several parties to the sale.

The reserves that I previously reported should be made in two localities, it will be observed, are not inserted in the deed, as the Crown Solicitor was of opinion that it would be better to take a conveyance for the whole block, and then give others for the reserves to the respective Natives, when the exact boundaries were ascertained.

The importance of this acquisition to the Nelson Settlement can scarcely be overrated, as it not only extinguishes the Native title to a tract of land which was required to complete the Nelson Block, but more especially as it contains those elements of wealth and prosperity to the settlement which I brought under His Excellency's notice in my communication of the 5th January.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.