Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 4. — Mr. Mantell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 273

No. 4.
Mr. Mantell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Dunedin, 19th February, 1852.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you, for the information of the Governor-in-Chief, my return this day from the overland journey through the southern districts of this Island, undertaken in accordance with His Excellency's instructions, conveyed to me in your letter of the 14th April.

The journal and reports required by that letter shall be forwarded with as little delay as possible.

I have defined reserves for the Natives at the following places:—1. Tuturau; 2 Omaui; 3. Oue; 4. Aparima; 5. Oraka; 6. Kawakaputaputa; 7. Onetota; 8. Tumutu (life reserve).

In returning I pressed on regardless of the weather, in order that no time might be lost in sending a surveyor to survey these reserves (Nos. 1 to 7), as I am anxious to have the maps ready for delivery to the chiefs by the 24th May proximo, the day fixed for a final general meeting at Otago, to settle all disputes prior to the distribution of the final instalment.

I find that, in Mr. Kettle's absence, there is but one surveyor here, and that he is employed by Captain Cargill, and therefore unavailable; and that even if he were not so engaged, his want of experience among the Natives would in my opinion disqualify him for this particular duty. I would therefore request that an arrangement be made with Mr. Kettle, who is, I believe, now in Wellington, by which I may have the benefit of his immediate services in this matter. I may observe that, although authorized to appoint a surveyor, I am not informed what remuneration I am empowered to offer him.

After the meeting in May, I have engaged to proceed to the South (Bloomfield Harbour, or the New River) to distribute the first instalment. This will amount to £1,000, which sum I would request you to direct to be remitted to the Sub-Treasurer of this district for that purpose by the beginning of June.

I have further to request that I may be provided with the means of proceeding by sea to either of the above ports to distribute the sum, and of conveying with me those chiefs resident here whose presence there may be necessary.

I have, &c.,
Walter Mantell.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.