Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Papers And Documents Relative To The Waitohi Purchase, Queen Charlotte's Sound.]

page 263

Papers And Documents Relative To The Waitohi Purchase, Queen Charlotte's Sound.

No. 1.
Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey.

Government House, Auckland, lst February, 1849.

My Lord,—

1.Adverting to my Despatch No. 83 of the 9th October last, in which I detailed the steps which, in compliance with the instructions contained in your Lordship's Despatch, I had taken for the purpose of arranging the points in dispute between the New Zealand Company and their settlers, which still remain unadjusted, I have the honor to request your Lordship's attention to the statement I then made, that I found that the differences between the New Zealand Company and their settlers at Nelson had, in point of fact, been adjusted, and that therefore there appeared no reason for my interference in the affairs of that settlement.
2.In making that statement, I omitted to mention that the adjustment to which I alluded was dependent upon the Company being able to purchase from the Natives a tract of country called the Waitohi, together with the adjacent harbour, which harbour and tract of country forms, in fact, the key to the fertile district of the Wairau. Unfortunately, after I addressed to your Lordship my Despatch of the 7th October last, it was found that the Natives would not dispose of the Waitohi, and the Company were thus precluded from giving this land out to their settlers, in conformity with the terms of arrangement which both parties were anxious to adopt.
3.As the interests of the Natives did not in anyway require that they should retain the Waitohi, and as there appeared no reasonable grounds for their pursuing such a course, which was clearly adverse to their own interests, I thought that some misunderstanding in reference to the supposed intentions of the Government with regard to Waitohi must have arisen; and therefore, in conformity with the promise I had made to your Lordship in my Despatch of the 7th October last, that I would give every aid in my power to complete the adjustment of the differences existing between the Company and their settlers, I thought it my duty to proceed to the Waitohi, with a view of having an interview with the Natives of that place, and of inducing them, if practicable, to complete an arrangement which promised to be so advantageous to both parties.
4.I am happy to be able to state, that with the assistance of Mr. F. D. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, I completed, upon the 30th December last, an arrangement for the purchase of the Waitohi which was quite satisfactory to the Natives, and which will now enable the New Zealand Company, without further delay, to complete the whole of their arrangements with their Nelson settlers.
5.I have the honor to enclose for your Lordship's information, a copy of the agreement which was entered into with the Natives on this occasion.

I have, &c.,
G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey.

page 264

No. 2.
[Translation.] Memorandum of the Agreement made between the Governor, Mr. Bell, and the Natives, respecting the Land at Waitohi.

That place (Waitohi) has been given up by the Natives to the Governor, for a residence for him and the white men. The pa, the harbour, the gardens, and the cultivations, have all been given up. Whereupon the Governor, for his part, will perform the things that are written down below in this memorandum.

1.He and Mr. Bell will survey a Native town, a new town at Waikawa, for the residence of the Natives for ever. Town lots will be surveyed, alike to those which the Governor surveyed for the Natives at Otaki.
2.They will also survey sections outside the town for garden grounds and cultivations for the Natives.
3.They will also plough the land, and will provide seed wheat for the land so ploughed. However, the quantity of land to be ploughed is to be equal to the quantity of ground already cultivated by the Natives at Waitohi. But if the Natives prefer cultivating or ploughing that land themselves, then will they be paid for their labour according to the work done.
4.A wooden church shall also be built,—a place of prayer to our Saviour. The Governor and Mr. Bell will build it within the town at Waikawa.
5.And to finally conclude the payment for Waitohi, for the harbour, for the gardens and cultivations, and for the land, the Governor will pay one hundred pounds once told. When the payment is made the Natives shall leave Waitohi, and shall give it up to the Governor, to Mr. Bell, and to all the white men, for their residence for ever.

Now we, the Natives, have written our names, and the Governor and Mr. Bell theirs. We have all of us written our names to this paper, that thereby may be thoroughly known our entire agreement and consent to all the words and agreements contained in the same.

At Waitohi,

30th December, 1848.

No. 3.

Government House, Auckland, 7th April, 1849.

My Lord,—

In reference to my Despatch No. 3, of 1st February, 1849, in which I reported the arrangements I had made for the purchase of the district of the Waitohi, to enable the New Zealand Company to fulfil their engagements with the Nelson settlers, it is in my power, although I have not yet received officially the details of the final arrangements which have been made, to transmit for your Lordship's information the enclosed extract of a letter which I have received from the Superintendent at Nelson, dated 27th March last, from which your Lordship will see that I have been fortunate enough to have fully succeeded in carrying out your wishes that I should make such arrangements as would enable the New Zealand Company to complete the engagements they had entered into with the Nelson settlers.

I have, &c.,
G. Grey.

No. 4.
Major Richmond to Sir George Grey.

Nelson, 27th March, 1849.

My dear Sir,—

In compliance with your Excellency's instructions, I proceeded the latter end of last month to the Waitohi, accompanied by the Resident Company's Agent, to carry out the detail relative to the purchase of that district, and am happy to say that the Natives so well understand the arrangements your Excellency has entered into with them, that I was able, without any difficulty, to accomplish them to their entire satisfaction, and the cordial concurrence of the Resident Company's Agent. The chief Ropoama was appointed by the tribe to settle with me the particulars specified in the memorandum of sale, and they were so pleased with the arrangements that they came in the evening to the house I occupied, and willingly, without one exception, affixed their signatures to a document I had prepared expressive of their satisfaction at the sufficiency of the reserve, and acknowledgment of the boundaries therein detailed.

The spot selected for the village is on a dry fern slope, at the junction of the stream which runs through the reserve with the waters of the Sound in Waikawa Bay; and the land for their cultivations will be laid out immediately behind. Natural boundaries have been selected which comprise between 300 and 400 acres of level ground, of which about 200 are available for cultivation. There is a considerable extent of forest land, and some unfit for culture, which the Natives requested to have for the pasture of their cattle, so that they should not trespass on the settlers' land. This will all be given in a plan which Mr. Jollie has directed to be made, and for which I am waiting before I forward an official despatch; but as the Government brig has touched here on its route to Auckland, I thought it would be satisfactory to your Excellency to have these few hurried lines, making you aware of the result of my visit, and that nothing exists to retard the progress of that town and district. I hope to have the plan to enable me to send the several documents by the "Undine," which is expected here shortly.

I have, &c.,
M. Richmond.

His Excellency Sir George Grey.

page 265

No. 5.

Government House, Auckland, 4th August, 1849.

My Lord,—

In reference to my Despatches, No. 3, of the 1st February, and No. 46, of the 7th April last, relative to the purchase from the Natives of the Valley of the Waitohi, I have now the honor to transmit for your Lordship's information the final report of the Superintendent of Nelson upon this subject, from which your Lordship will find that the whole matter has been satisfactorily and conclusively arranged upon the basis which had been previously agreed upon, and that there is now no difficulty in the way of the New Zealand Company completing their arrangements with the Nelson settlers.

Great credit is due to Major Richmond, and to Mr. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, for the manner in which they concluded the negotiation. Major Richmond's report also affords a very interesting view of the increased confidence which the Natives repose in the Europeans, and of their anxiety to obtain employment as labourers, whenever an opportunity offers of their so doing.

I have, &c.,
G. Grey.

No. 6.
Major Richmond to the Civil Secretary.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson, 26th June, 1849.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to forward the accompanying report relative to the arrangements connected with the purchase of the Waitohi District, which His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief wished to be made direct to himself. The Company's surveyors having been detained at Waitohi longer than they contemplated, has caused some delay in forwarding the report, as it was only yesterday that I received the tracings from the Resident Agent.

I have transmitted copies of all the documents to His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor for his information.

I have, &c.,
M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

The Hon. C. A. Dillon, Civil Secretary.

No. 7.

Major Richmond to Sir George Grey.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson, 26th June, 1849.

Sir,—

On my arrival at Waitohi, where, as instructed by your Excellency, I proceeded, in company with the Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company, I found the Natives so thoroughly conversant with the conditions attached to the sale of that district, and the arrangements entered into by your Excellency, that I had no difficulty in carrying them out to their entire satisfaction, as well as with the cordial concurrence of the Company's Agent.

In certifying to the points required by your Excellency's Minute, a copy of which is herewith enclosed, I have the honor to report as follows:—

1.That I personally inspected the several gardens and cultivations of the Natives in the Waitohi, which measure 89 acres; to which the Company's Agent and myself agree, that 6 should be added for any small unmeasured patches there may be, making a total of 95 acres.
2.The reserve allotted in Waikawa Bay contains 280 acres of level land, of which about 200 are available for cultivation, and in addition, as will be seen by the accompanying tracing, a large tract of forest and waste land. The boundaries are well defined, being the summit of the hills on either side, till they descend to the water at the capes which form the Bay of Waikawa, and the back or inland boundary is the ridge of the first rising ground from the beach; and as this is the principal one, dividing, as it does, the European from the Native land, it had been further marked off by stakes. The enclosed documents, signed by every Native there at Waitohi, and the census I caused to be taken at the time, will convey to your Excellency the satisfaction of the Natives at the sufficiency of the reserve, and how ample it is for their future operations and wants.
3.The site of the village was selected by the chief Ropoama on behalf of the rest of the Natives, and a more eligible one could not have been taken: it is situated in the centre of the Bay, at the junction of a stream that flows through the centre of the reserve with the waters of the Sound, distant about two miles by land and a mile further by water, from the site which has been fixed upon for the town at Waitohi.

The Resident Agent of the Company purposes to lay out 20 acres for the village at this spot, and immediately adjacent 95 acres, equivalent to what the Natives resign at Waitohi, for their cultivations.

Every precaution that suggested itself has been taken to prevent future dispute or misunderstanding, and from the manner in which the whole of the resident Natives expressed their satisfaction at the arrangements, I do not apprehend any interruption of the good feeling that now exists, or that anything will occur to retard the progress of the town at Waitohi, which as a shipping port to the Wairau will materially add to the value and increase the prosperity of a district so important to the Nelson Settlement.

I considered it right to reserve for a public landing-place a small portion of level land abutting on the deepest water in Waikawa Bay, as well as the right of reserving a road through the Native Reserve to Waitohi, both of which were cheerfully acceded to by the Natives, and are delineated on the plan.

page 266

Having learnt from His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor that Mr. FitzGerald's services could not be dispensed with at Wellington, the Company's Agent directed his surveyors to lay out the line of road from Waitohi to the Wairau, a tracing of which is herewith enclosed.

From personal knowledge of the Tua Marina Pass, I consider it a judicious line that Messrs. Ward and Coulter have adopted, and they appear to have arrived at a fair approximation of the expense, as 15 percent for incidental expenses is considered rather underrated, where the work is at such a distance; and as I believe there will be a greater extent than three miles that will require metalling, the whole expense cannot be estimated under £3,000.

When your Excellency issues instructions for the carrying out of this work, it will meet with every aid from the Natives, as everywhere I touched at in Queen Charlotte's Sound, during my late visit to Waitohi, and also at the Pa Mahikipaua, on the Pelorus, they were earnest in their inquiries as to the time the road was to be commenced, and in their desire to be employed upon it.

I have, &.,
M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief.

Enclosure in No. 7.
Census of the Native Population at Waitohi, Queen Charlotte's Sound, taken on the 5th day of March, 1849, by direction of His Honor the Superindendent.

Names of Adults. No. of Children. Names of Adults. No. of Children.
Males. Females. M. F. Males. Females. M. F.
Ropoama Ko Neta Neta
Tiaki Puku Kawena 1 Rawiri Kutu 1
Kari Topira 2 Timoti 1
Moana Eruera Miriama
Nga Pungarehu Kai 1 Te Roki
Hohepa Karia 2 1 Ko Koi Ringa Ringa
Arapere Ihaka Rahera
Taka Mana
Hamiora Kapa Ko Kapua
Nopera 1 Rahera
Hamuitara Timoti
Tamaki Ropoama
Retimana Eruwira
Hona Nihana Hene 1
Ngara Ahirangi Materakata
Paora Araia
Taiko Pepene
Hakaraia Pirihia Imai Makara 3
Tawhi Kehetu Pirihira
Taka Nga Watu Te Rangi
Wetikau Rangihehe Te Karoro
Kurae 3 Miti Kowanga Lena
Makoua Aterata 1 Te Tawhia
Kino Akia Tana
Te Pa Karanama Hara
Miriama

Total Adults—Males, 46; Females, 25. Children—Males, 8; Females, 10.

John Tinline,
Interpreter.

No. 8.

630.Deed of Sale.Waitohi.£300.Ngatiawa for claims to Waitohi.Dated 4th March,1850.Plan attached.This Deed written this 4th day of March, 1850: It is agreed by Ropoama, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana, and the other Natives whose names are written to this deed on behalf of themselves and all the other people who own the land named below. It is agreed between all these Natives and Queen Victoria, Sovereign England, that whereas, as far back as the 30th day of December, 1848, it was declared by an agreement of Ropoama and the Natives of Waitohi, with the Governor and Mr. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, to sell to them Waitohi as a settlement for the Pakeha, and to give up the pa at Waitohi, the port, the cultivations, and all of the land at Waitohi. And whereas the payment agreed by the Governor and Mr. Bell to be made for Waitohi was as follows: the surveying of a village at Waikawa, the ploughing of a piece of land near Waikawa as cultivations for the Natives, the building of a wooden house as a chapel at Waikawa, and the payment of one hundred pounds in money, to complete the purchase for the above-named place for Waitohi.
page break page break

page break page break page 267

Now, as the surveying of the village at Waikawa has been completed for the Natives, and as also the chapel is now building agreeably to the expectations of the Natives.

Whereas likewise the ploughing of the land above mentioned has not been commenced, but instead Ropoama, and the whole of the aforesaid Natives of Waitohi, have agreed to take a sum of money amounting to two hundred pounds, in payment of such ploughing. Therefore, the full meaning of this deed is this: In consideration of the said three hundred pounds (for the land one hundred pounds, and for the ploughing two hundred pounds) having been paid to Ropoama, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana, on behalf of themselves and all the other owners of the land at Waitohi, and the payment of which money is by them acknowledged,—Ropoama and the aforesaid Natives, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana on their own behalf, and on behalf of all the Natives who have remained behind at Waitohi, hereby agree to give up fully to Queen Victoria, and her heirs and people for ever and ever, all the land at the Weranga o waitohi, the pa, the port, the cultivations, and all the land according as it is described in the plan attached to this deed. In consideration also of this final payment being perfectly satisfied, Ropoama and all the Natives agree to give up at once the cultivations and pa, and the whole of the land at Waitohi, and vacate it for the Pakeha. Further, Ropoama and the Natives above mentioned, Major Richmond, Her Majesty's Chief Magistrate at Nelson, and also Mr. Bell, have all of them signed their names to this deed, to make fully known their complete assent to the contents of the same.

Copy of Original Deed in Maori.

Ko Tenei pukapuka i tuhituhia i tenei wha o nga ra o Maehe, 1850, whakaaetia e Ropoama, e Hemi Potaka, e Witikau, e Te Retimana, me etahi atu tangata Maori i a ratou nga ingoa kua tuhituhia, ki tenei pukapuka mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata hoki no ratou katoa te whenua e karangatia ana ki raro nei, whakaaetia ano e aua tangata Maori ratou me te Kuini Wikitoria te Ariki Nui o Engarani Na, imua ano i te toru tekau o nga ra o Tihema, 1848, i whakatakatoria te tikanga o te whakaaetanga o Ropoama, ratou me nga tangata Maori i Waitohi, ki Kawana raua ko te Pere te Kaiwhakarite, o te Whakaminenga o Nui Tireni kia hokona atu a Waitohi ki a raua mo raua kia nohoia e te Pakeha kia tukua atu te pa i Waitohi, me te wapu, me nga mara me nga mahinga, me te whenua katoa i Waitohi, na ko nga utu i whakaae ai a Kawana, raua ko te Pere kia utua mo Waitohi, ina ko te ruritanga o tetahi taone kei Waikawa ko te parautanga o tetahi wahi kia tua atu o Waikawa hei mara mo nga Maori, ko te hanganga o tetahi whare rakau hei whare karakia kei reira kei Waikawa, ko te hoatutanga hoki o nga moni kotahi rau paunu hei utunga whakamutunga mo taua wahi mo Waitohi.

Koia, notemea kua oti te ruritanga o te taone i Waikawa mo nga tangata Maori, waihoki ko te whare karakia kei te hanga pai ano, ki ta te whakaro o nga Maori. Notemea hoki kahore ano i timataia te parautanga o te whenua i karangatia ake nei, otira kua whakaae a Ropoama me ana tangata Maori katoa i Waitohi, ki te tango i etahi atu moni erua rau a nga pauna hei whakaeatanga mo taua parautanga whenua.

Koia ra hoki ko te tino tikanga o tenei pukapuka. Koia tenei mo te mea kua hoatu ana etoru rau pauna moni (mo te whenua takitahi, mo te parautanga takirua), ki a Ropoama, me Hemi Potaka, me Witikau, me Te Retimana mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata katoa hoki no ratou taua whenua a Waitohi, a whakaaetia e ratou te hoatutanga o nga moni, e whakaae nei a Ropoama me aua tangata a Hemi Potaka, a Witikau, me Te Retimana, mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata katoa ano kua noho atu i Waitohi, kia tukua rawatia atu ki te Kuini Wikitoria, me ana tangata me ana uri ake ake tonu ake te whenua katoa i te Weranga o Waitohi ko te pa, ko te wapu, ko nga ngakinga, ko nga mahinga, ko te whenua katoa ki ta te tikanga o te ahua o te whenua kua taia ki tetahi pukapuka, kua apititia ki tenoi pukapuka, na te mea hoki kua rite rawa te ritenga whakamutunga nei e whakaae ana nei a Ropoama me nga tangata katoa kia tukua atu anaienei e ratou nga ngakinga me te pa me te whenua katoa i Waitohi kia waiho atu ma te Pakeha.

Na kua tuhia e Ropoama me nga tangata Maori kua korerotia ake nei, kua tuhia hoki e Te Retimana te tino Kai whakawa o te Kuini i Whakatu, kua tuhia hoki e te Pere e ratou katoa, a ratou ingoa ki tenei pukapuka, kia mohiotia rawatia ta ratou tino whakaaetanga ki nga tikanga katoa i tuhia i roto i tenei pukapuka.

Te x tohu o Ropohama.
Arapere x.
Mohi Ngawatu.
Akia x.
Hamuera x.
Hohepa Ngapuke.
Taituha Te Wakamaru.
Tipene Ngaruna.
Pohipi Te Tapuae.
Tamati Te Hawe.
Tiaho x.
Witikau, tona x tohu.
x Amiritona.
Hemi Watikingi.
Herewini, tona x tohu.
Te Retimana.
Napua.
Hora Rakeha.
Henere.
M. Richmond, Superintendent.
F. D. Bell, Resident Agent, N.Z. Company.

Witnesses
Henry F. Butt, Clerk.
Jno. Tinline, Sheriff and Native Interpreter.

page 268