Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 1. — Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey

No. 1.
Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey.

Government House, Auckland, lst February, 1849.

My Lord,—

1.Adverting to my Despatch No. 83 of the 9th October last, in which I detailed the steps which, in compliance with the instructions contained in your Lordship's Despatch, I had taken for the purpose of arranging the points in dispute between the New Zealand Company and their settlers, which still remain unadjusted, I have the honor to request your Lordship's attention to the statement I then made, that I found that the differences between the New Zealand Company and their settlers at Nelson had, in point of fact, been adjusted, and that therefore there appeared no reason for my interference in the affairs of that settlement.
2.In making that statement, I omitted to mention that the adjustment to which I alluded was dependent upon the Company being able to purchase from the Natives a tract of country called the Waitohi, together with the adjacent harbour, which harbour and tract of country forms, in fact, the key to the fertile district of the Wairau. Unfortunately, after I addressed to your Lordship my Despatch of the 7th October last, it was found that the Natives would not dispose of the Waitohi, and the Company were thus precluded from giving this land out to their settlers, in conformity with the terms of arrangement which both parties were anxious to adopt.
3.As the interests of the Natives did not in anyway require that they should retain the Waitohi, and as there appeared no reasonable grounds for their pursuing such a course, which was clearly adverse to their own interests, I thought that some misunderstanding in reference to the supposed intentions of the Government with regard to Waitohi must have arisen; and therefore, in conformity with the promise I had made to your Lordship in my Despatch of the 7th October last, that I would give every aid in my power to complete the adjustment of the differences existing between the Company and their settlers, I thought it my duty to proceed to the Waitohi, with a view of having an interview with the Natives of that place, and of inducing them, if practicable, to complete an arrangement which promised to be so advantageous to both parties.
4.I am happy to be able to state, that with the assistance of Mr. F. D. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, I completed, upon the 30th December last, an arrangement for the purchase of the Waitohi which was quite satisfactory to the Natives, and which will now enable the New Zealand Company, without further delay, to complete the whole of their arrangements with their Nelson settlers.
5.I have the honor to enclose for your Lordship's information, a copy of the agreement which was entered into with the Natives on this occasion.

I have, &c.,
G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey.