Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 9. — Mr. Mantell to the Colonial Secretary

No. 9.
Mr. Mantell to the Colonial Secretary.

Port Cooper, 11th August, 1849.

Sir

I do myself the honor to transmit to you a deed signed yesterday by the Natives of this district, acknowledging the receipt of £200 in full and final payment for their lands.

In accordance with my instructions, I have made for them the following reserves:—The first ten acres, more or less, on the Purau Stream, in Acheron Bay, of which I enclose a plan. The Natives' copy is lodged with Tiemi Nohomutu, the principal man of Port Cooper. The second, the wood of an isolated bush, about two miles inland of the above, called Motuhikarehu. The third, a block of 856 acres, more or less, at Rapaki, chiefly consisting of bare precipitous mountains, but containing a considerable extent of wood, and from fifty to sixty acres of arable land.

I have delivered the Natives' copy of the enclosed plan of this reserve to Apetara Kautuanui.

The map affixed to the deed will show you the extent of land, the Native title to which I have been able to extinguish at this place.

The distribution of the payment passed off quietly, and was most satisfactory, the Natives expressing themselves highly pleased at the fairness of the partition of the money. I enclose a table of my arrangement of this, with a rough explanatory tracing.

page 254

The previous negotiations were most protracted and tedious, and frequently interrupted by the inclemency of the weather, the winter here having been unusually severe.

I proceed next week to Port Levy.

It will be necessary to extinguish the Native title over the whole Peninsula in the same manner as at this place before the survey of the proposed grant to the Nanto-Bordelaise Company can be commenced; the balance, therefore, of the sum originally placed at my disposal will be far from adequate, and I would suggest that the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company be requested to remit an additional amount of about £300.

As I shall be naturally anxious to hear of the receipt of my present communication and its enclosures, I would beg that you would honor me by acquainting me of its safe arrival.

I have, &c.,
Walter Mantell,
Commissioner Ext. N.C.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.