Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

To Colonel Russell, Native Minister,—

Rapaki, 1st February, 1866.

o Friend, salutations to you performing your duties, putting straight land questions affecting both Europeans and Natives.

This is my word to you about my land, about Waihora: my continual writing to you will not cease, although your work as a Minister of the Government should meanwhile cease, and your successor come into office. This is the fourth time I have written to the Government. o friend do you hearken, the word of that Superintendent of whom you wrote to me through Mr. Rolleston is incorrect, who says that he is not willing that the water be let off, lest the eel-weirs of the Maori be injured. That word is utterly incorrect for the water is let off year by year, and the payment for the grass is handed to the Government instead (of us). Therefore it occurred to my mind to write to the Government side, because that water was not included in the sale made to that sold to Mr. Kemp and Mr. Mantell; it is still ours, the Maoris. But rather do you send some clear thought to us, to the Maoris, for it will not be right that our eyes be blindfolded a second time.

Your loving friend,
Natanahira Waruwarutu.