Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Correspondence Relative to the Complaints of Matiaha Tiramorehu, Regarding the Insufficiency of the Reserves Set Apart For his Tribe in the Middle Island.]

page 227

Correspondence Relative to the Complaints of Matiaha Tiramorehu, Regarding the Insufficiency of the Reserves Set Apart For his Tribe in the Middle Island.

No. 1.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to Mr. Mantell.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington, 24th December, 1849.

Sir,

I am directed by His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor to transmit to you, to report upon, a communication lately received from Matiaha Tiramorehu, complaining of the insufficiency of the reserves set apart for his tribe in the Middle Island; and at the same time to request that you will instil into the minds of the Natives the sacredness of all obligations they may enter into, and that such arrangements, once made, cannot be altered.

With respect to the Kaiapoi, the Natives themselves brought the subject before the Governor-in-Chief, when at Wellington, many months since, and were distinctly informed that no changes or new arrangements could be made or allowed.

In furnishing your report, it will be as well to mention the extent of the reserves at Moeraki, and the number of Natives, so that it may appear how far the complaint of their insufficiency is correct or otherwise.

I have, &c,

Alfred Domett,
Colonial Secretary.

Walter Mantell, Esq.

Enclosure in. No. 1.

To Governor Eyre.—Greeting,

Moeraki, 22nd October, 1849.

Listen to these my words relative to the part (of land) which was made sacred to yourself and Governor Grey by Mr. Mantell, also to the part which was reserved for the Maoris: The owners of the land are discontented with the portions allotted to them by Mr. Mantell.

You are aware when Mantell first commenced his work in this place, his first mistake was at Kaiapoi, viz., he would not listen to what the owners of the land wished to say to him; they strenuously urged that the part that should be reserved for the Maoris ought to be large, but Mantell paid no attention to their wishes; it was thus he did wrong in the commencement of his work, and continued to do so in all his arrangements in regard to the portions which were reserved for the Maoris.

It is in consequence of this I write to you, my esteemed friend, Governor Eyre:—pay attention. The principal cause of all the disputes in this Island is that of your having given the payment of a part of our Island to the Ngatitoas, it is this which has caused all the disputes amongst the Natives of this Island:—but you, Governor Eyre, are aware of the cause of all the disturbance of that Island, it is the same here, and there will ere long be ruptures among us.

These are my reasons for writing to request of you that the boundaries of Moeraki may be extended, that we may have plenty of land to cultivate wheat and potatoes, also land where our pigs, cattle, and sheep can run at large; it will not be long before we purchase both cartle and sheep, and what land have we now in the small pieces which are reserved by Mantell for us fit for such a purpose; each allotment which Mantell has set aside for the Maoris is abouc as large as one white man's residence. We are conjecturing who could have given Mantell his instructions so to act; do you, Governor Eyre, think that I should tell him to reserve for the multitude a piece of land only large enough for one man? No; moreover the Natives will never consent to it. There are many people, and but a small quantity of land for them. I imagined that it was by your instructions that Mantell reserved such small patches for the Maoris. I also remember the conversation that Governor Grey had at Akaroa with the Natives of Port Levy; Ngaituahuriri spoke to the Governor concerning the payment for Kaikoura and Kaiapoi; he (the Governor) told the Ngaitahu Tribe that (the payment for) Kaiapoi should not be given to the Ngatitoas, but that for Kaikoura was already gone to them. Upon which Te Uki said to the Governor, Do not hide from us what you may have wrongly done with our place or country, but tell us that we may all know what you have done. After which conversation Governor Grey asked Ngaituahuriri if he would part with some of his land; upon which the Ngaitahu Tribe hearing, gave their consent that Kaiapoi should be given up to the Governor, relying implicitly on his former promises; but no, it (the payment for Kaiapoi) has been given to the Ngatitoas. When Mr. Kemp page 228came here, he placed the boundary of the Ngatitoas' land at Kaiapoi; this mistake caused our hearts to be darkened. Since then Mantell arrived here; and on their (the Maoris) seeing the portions which he reserved for them, began to quarrel.

However, I considered at that time that it was for all Ngaitahu to complain; but now, I myself will speak. The white man's transactions are bad,—there are in consequence great disturbances already amongst the Natives of this Island; therefore I earnestly request that some person may be sent here directly to alter all the boundaries, Moeraki included; that there may be a large block reserved for us, is the constant topic of our conversation. Extend the boundaries at Moeraki.

This is the commencement of our speaking (or complaining) to you, Governor Eyre; and although you should return to England, we shall never cease complaing to the white people who may hereafter come here.

But you, Governor Eyre, are aware of the cause of the disagreement between us; we, that is Topi, Taiaroa, Tikao, and myself, perceived at the time we were at Port Nicholson, when Taiaroa and Tikao spoke to you, that you did not thoroughly understand them; you interrupted them. Besides, they did not say all they intended to say, because you told us to be quick and return with our vessel to the Maoris; in consequence of which I anticipated the quarrels. The greater part of our people did not understand the meaning of that conversation, but I understood it; I saw the meaning of those words, I carefully remembered their purport, and on my arrival amongst our tribe I explained to them the substance of your conversation with Tikao and Taiaroa.

Therefore, let not the white people say it was through any fault of the Maoris that this disturbance has arisen;—no, it was yours; still, should I ever hear anything wrong, I will let you know of it. This is all I have to say.

No. 2.

Mr. Mantell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Wellington, 24th January, 1850.

Sir,

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt this day of your letter of the 24th December, ultimo, enclosing one from Matiaha Tiramorehu, relative to the Moeraki and other reserves, which with its translation I return.

In obedience to your directions, I forward a table showing the proportion between population and land reserved at the places in question. By this you will perceive that the wants of the Natives are amply provided for in the reserves which I made, the boundaries of which, at the time of the survey, were in each case approved by them.

I have, &c.,

Walter Mantell,
Late Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Enclosure in No.2.
Return showing the proportion of Population to Reserves at Kaiapoi and Moeraki.

No. of Resorves. Situation. Population.
Total. Adults. Children. Remarks.
M. F. M. F.
Acres.
1 Tuahiwi 2,640 200 Estimated number of claimants resident on the spot and on the Peninsula. The major part of the latter are at present living on and occupying the principal part of the Port Levy Reserve, though their claim in it does not exceed an acre of graves purchased by Taiaroa, Pokeae, &c. The Tuahiwi Reserve is a fine and valuable estate, and contains at least 300 acres of wood. It was made of its present extent in order to admit the Moeraki Natives.
2 KaiKainui 5
12a Moeraki 500 87 29 39 10 9 Undulating land of the richest and most fertile soil, and, where not cultivated, clothed with light wood.
*12b Do. Te Kuri Ten acres of timber for sawing, there being little or none of sufficient size on 12a. The land in this case not reserved.
3,145 287

Average nearly eleven acres to each individual.

Walter Mantell,
Late Commissioner.

* The land at Te Kuri was, together with an additional ten acres adjoining, subsequently purchased by the Natives, and grants have been prepared in favour of the under-mentioned persons—viz., for the original section, Matiaha Tiramorehu, Rawiri Te Mamaru, Pita Tipa, Natanshira Waruwarutu, and Arama te Whata Karaka; and for the adjoining section, in favour of Rawiri Te Maire, Henare Mauhara, and Mirekireki Hape.—Alexander Mackay, Commissioner.

page 229

No. 3.
Lieutenant-Governor Eyre to Mr. Kemp.

Mr. Kemp,

13th June, 1850.

Reply to this that the question raised by them was long since settled by Governor Grey, who told them, on their applying to him at Wellington, that he could not disturb or reopen the arrangement made relative to the purchase of Wairau, Kaiapoi, &c., from the Ngatitoas. Neither can I now consent to reopen or alter any arrangement relative to the reserves at Moeraki. I have examined into the matter, and find that the reserve made there contains 500 acres, which is considerable for the very few Natives resident there.

Question relating to land and arrangements made relative to reserves, &c., cannot be reopened or altered when once they have been settled; otherwise no end of confusion would take place, and land would be of no value, because there would be no knowing what arrangements were to be the final ones. Therefore I cannot consent to disturb those which have been made relative to Moeraki.

G. Eyre.

Matiaha informed accordingly.

H. Tacy Kemp.

15th June, 1850.
page 230