Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 1. — Despatch from the Earl of Aberdeen to Lord Cowley

No. 1.
Despatch from the Earl of Aberdeen to Lord Cowley.

Foreign Office, 28th July, 1842.

My Lord,—

With reference to your Despatch (No. 108) of the 10th ultimo, I transmit to you a copy of a Despatch from the Governor of New Zealand to the Secretary of State for the Colonies, containing a Report on the French Settlement formed on Banks Peninsula in the Southern Island, and stating the arrangement by which he proposes to effect the removal of the settlers from thence to the Northern Island. I also enclose to you a copy of a Report of the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners upon the contents of Governor Hobson's Despatch above mentioned; and a copy of the Address of Governor Hobson to the Legislative Council of New Zealand, with reference to the general settlement of claims to land in those Islands.

Your Excellency will commuuicate this correspondence to the French Minister for ForeignAffairs, and you will state to him that Her Majesty's Government propose to deal with the Company connected with the French settlers in New Zealand on the same principle as if they had been a British Company, and to invite them as a preliminary step to prove the extent of their claims, which, when proved to be just, will be allowed in the Northern Island, and that no difficulties will be thrown in the way of their naturalization.

I also enclose to your Excellency, for your information, copies of a note from the Baron do Bourguency, of 17th February, 1841, and of the answer of my predecessor, having reference to the subject to which the Despatch relates.

I have, &c.,

Aberdeen.

His Excellency the Lord Cowley.