Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Text]

No. 9. Despatch from Earl Grey to Governor Grey.

Downing Street, 23rd October, 1849.

Sir,—

With reference to your Despatches Nos. 19 and 21, of the 7th and 15th of March last, I have to transmit to you the enclosed copy of a letter from Mr. T. Harrington, announcing the final conveyance to the New Zealand Company of the entire property and interests of the Nanto-Bordelaise Company.

I have, &c.,

Grey.

Governor Grey, New Zealand.

Enclosure in No 9.
Mr. T. C. Harrington to the Right Hon. Earl Grey.

New Zealand House, 12th October, 1849.

My Lords,—

The Directors of the New Zealand Company beg to thank your Lordship for the communication, in Mr. Hawes' two letters of the 5th instant, of Sir George Grey's Despatches of the 7th and 15th of March, Nos. 19 and 21, the former stating that through the absence of any person authorized to act on behalf of the Nanto-Bordelaise Company, it had not been found practicable to complete the requisite arrangements respecting the claims of that Company to a tract of land near Banks Peninsula; the latter enclosing Mr. Brunner's journal of his expedition to explore the interior of the Middle Island.

With regard to the Nanto-Bordelaise Company, the Directors are happy to state that the necessity of any further proceedings has been superseded by the completion on the 30th of last June by Monsieur Raillard, the Official "Liquidateur," of the agreement provisionally entered into on the 24th of February by Monsieur Cuzon, repecting which I had the honor to address your Lordship on the 17th of that month and the 1st of June.

Particulars of Monsieur Cuzon's agreement were transmited to the Company's Principal Agent by the ship "Cornwall," on the 13th of April, and of Monsieur Raillard's final conveyance to the New Zealand Company of the entire property and interests of the Nanto-Bordelaise Company in New Zealand, for the sum of £4,500, by the ship "Kelso," on the 4th of last July.

I have, &c.,

T. C. Harrington.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey, &c.
page 81