Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 33. — Mr. Vernon Smith to Mr Somes

No. 33.
Mr. Vernon Smith to Mr Somes.

Colonial. Office, Downing Street, 20th January, 1841.

Sir,—

I am directed by Lord John Russell to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 11th instant, enclosing the draft of a charter for incorporating the New Zealand Company; and I am to acquaint you that His Lordship has referred that draft to the Attorney and Solicitor General for their revision, and has informed them that the Company have been requested to instruct their agents to attend them with all necessary explanations on the subject. Lord John Russell has also called the attention of the law officers of the Crown to the necessity of expediting this business as much as may be practicable. I am therefore to request that you would move the Company to instruct their agents to fix an appointment with the Attorney and Solicitor General, at the earliest period which they can conveniently assign, for the purpose of revising and settling this draft.

I am, &c.,

R. Vernon Smith.

Joseph Somes, Esq.