Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — Lord Glenelg to the Earl of Durham

No. 3.
Lord Glenelg to the Earl of Durham.

Downing Street, 5th February, 1838.

Dear Lord Durham,

From the various communications, both verbal and in writing, which have passed between us regarding the plan for colonizing New Zealand, it is clear that the Association are not prepared to accede to the conditions which the Government think indispensable to the granting of a charter, and especially to that condition which requires a subscribed capital on the part of the Association.

Under these circumstances, I am of course unable to recommend Her Majesty to grant the proposed charter.

I understand, however, the Association now to revert to their original intention of proceeding by a Bill in Parliament, and you ask me whether the Government will oppose the introduction of such a Bill, or will permit it to be introduced for the purpose of insuring in the House of Commons a free and fair discussion of the objects contemplated by the measure. The subject has been considered by the Government, and I am to inform you that they will not oppose the introduction of such a Bill, nor throw any obstacle in the way of the principle and details of the plan being fully brought before the House of Commons and the public. At the same time, in withholding all opposition to the introduction of the Bill, the Government desire it to be distinctly understood that they do not in any degree pledge themselves to the future support of it, but that they hold themselves at liberty to take any course which they may think fit with regard to it in any of its subsequent stages.

I have received within the last few days a Despatch from Sir R. Bourke, transmitting a Report on the State of New Zealand from Captain Hobson, of Her Majesty's ship "Rattlesnake," with suggestions for a form of government intended to meet the peculiar circumstances in which those countries are now involved.

This Report, which has an important bearing on the subject in which the Association take so much interest, will be laid before Parliament. I enclose a copy of it for your information.

I have, &c.,

Glenelg.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Durham, &c., &c.