Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 19. — Extract from Letter, Governor Sir George Gipps to Lord John Russell

No. 19.
Extract from Letter, Governor Sir George Gipps to Lord John Russell.

Government House, Sydney, 23rd September, 1840.

My Lord,

I have already transmitted to your Lordship copies of the instructions which had been given to Captain Stanley, of Her Majesty's ship "Britomart," by the Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, on his proceeding to Banks' Peninsula, in the Middle Island, where it was expected that some emigrants from France were about to form a settlement.

I have now the satisfaction to inform your Lordship that Captain Stanley preceded the French in his arrival at Banks' Peninsula, and that the British flag was flying and British authority established there when the French whaling ship the "Comte de Paris," Captain Langlois, arrived and landed about 50 emigrants.

Captain Lavaud, in the French corvette "L'Aube," arrived at Banks' Peninsula after Captain Stanley, and only one day before the "Comte de Paris;" and he has, I understand, pledged himself that nothing shall be done that can be considered as an attempt to take possession of the country for the French Government.

Captain Langlois claims, I understand, a considerable extent of land as a purchase from the Natives.

The emigrants are described by Captain Stanley as being mostly mechanics or labourers, and are under the direction of a gentleman sent from the Jardin des Plantes.

The spot where they have landed is called Akaroa; it is a good harbour, but surrounded by steep and thickly wooded mountains 3,000 feet high.

A police magistrate (Mr. Robinson) was left at Akaroa, having been sent thither in the "Britomart" by Lieutenant-Governor Hobson; and the "Britomart" was at Port Nicholson on the 4th instant, the day to which my accounts from Captain Stanley come down.

The Right Hon. Lord J. Russell,

Secretary of State for the Colonies, &c.