Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 18. — Captain Stanley, R. N., to Lieutenant-Governor Hobson

No. 18.
Captain Stanley, R. N., to Lieutenant-Governor Hobson.

Her Majesty's ship "Britomart," 17th September, 1840,

at sea.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform your Excellency that I proceeded in Her Majesty's sloop under my command to the port of Akaroa, in Banks' Peninsula, where I arrived on the 10th August, after a very stormy passage, during which the stern boat was washed away, and one of the quarter-boats stove.

The French, frigate "L'Aube" had not arrived when I anchored, nor had any French emigrants been landed.

On 11th August I landed, accompanied by Messrs. Murphy and. Robinson, police magistrates, and visited the only two parts of the bay where there were houses; at both places the flag was hoisted, and a Court, of which notice had been given the day before, was held by the magistrates.

Having received information that there were three whaling stations on the southern side of the Peninsula, the exposed positions of which afforded no anchorage for the "Britomart," I sent Messrs. Murphy and Robinson to visit them in a whaleboat.

At each station the flag was hoisted and a Court held.

On the 15th August, the French frigate "L'Aube" arrived, having been four days off the point. On the 16th August, the French whaler "Comte de Paris," having on board 57 French emigrants, arrived.

With the exception of Mr. Belligny, from the Jardin des Plantes, who is sent out to look after the emigrants, and who is a good botanist and mineralogist, the emigrants are all of the lower order, and include carpenters, gardeners, stonemasons, labourers, a baker, and a miner; in all, 30 men, 11 women, and the rest children.

Captain Lavaud, on the arrival of the French emigrants, assured me on his word of honor, that he would maintain the most strict neutrality between the British residents and the emigrants, and that, should any differences arise between them, he would settle matters impartially.

Captain Lavaud also informed me that, as the "Comte de Paris" had to proceed to sea, whaling, he would cause the emigrants to be landed in some unoccupied part of the bay, where he pledged himself they should do nothing which could be considered as hostile to our Government; and that, until fresh instructions should be received from our respective Governments, the emigrants should merely build themselves houses for shelter, and clear away what little land they might require for gardens.

Upon visiting the "Comte de Paris," I found that she had on board, besides agricultural tools for the settlers, six long 24-pounders, mounted on field carriages.

I immediately called upon Captain Lavaud to protest against the guns being landed. Captain Lavaud assured me that he had been much surprised at finding that guns had been sent out in the "Comte de Paris," but that he had already given the most positive orders that they should not be landed.

On the 19th August, the French emigrants having landed in a sheltered, well-chosen part of the bay, where they could not interfere with any one, I handed over to Messrs. Murphy and Robinson the instructions intrusted to me by your Excellency to meet such a contingency.

page 28

Mr. Robinson, finding that he could engage three or four Englishmen as constables, and having been enabled, through the kindness of Captain Lavaud, to purchase a boat from a French whaler, decided upon remaining.

Captain Lavaud expressed much satisfaction when I informed him that Mr. Robinson was to remain, and immediately offered him the use of his cabin and table as long as "L'Aube" remained at Akaroa.

Mr. Robinson accepted Captain Lavaud's offer until he could establish himself on shore.

On the 27th August, I sailed from Akaroa for Pigeon Bay, where, finding no inhabitants, I merely remained long enough to survey the harbour, which, though narrow, and exposed to the northward, is well sheltered from every other wind, and is much frequented by whalers, who procure great numbers of pigeons.

From Pigeon Bay I went to Port Copper, where Mr. Murphy held a Court. Several chiefs were present, and seemed to understand and appreciate Mr. Murphy's proceedings in one or two cases that came before him.

Between Port Cooper and Cloudy Bay, I could hear of no anchorage whatever from the whalers who frequent the coast.

I arrived at Port Nicholson on the 2nd September, embarked Messrs. Shortland and Smart, and sailed for the Bay of Islands on the 16th September.

I have the honor to enclose herewith such information as I was enabled to procure during my stay at Banks' Peninsula, and also plans of the harbours.

I have, &c.,

W. M. Stanley,
Commander, R.N.

To His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Hobson, New Zealand.