The Jubilee History of Nelson: From 1842 to 1892.
The foundation stone of the first Presbyterian Church in the settlement of Nelson was laid on Thursday, the 22nd February, 1849, by the Rev. Thos. Dickson Nicholson, who was sent out by the Free Church of Scotland, and arrived at Nelson on the 18th January, 1849.
The first trustees were Messrs. D. Sclanders, T. Eenwick, M.D., W. Rogerson, W. Wilkie, W. Gardner, Rev. T. D. Nicholson, J. Mackay, G. McRae, R. D. McIsaac, and A. Rankin.
The building was designed to accommodate 350 persons, and would have been of brick, instead of wood, but for the alarm caused by the earthquakes in 1848, and the resulting doubts as to the security of brick buildings.
The Rev. T. D. Nicholson was succeeded in the pastorate of Trinity Church, as it was named, by the Rev. Patrick Calder who resigned in 1891 owing to failing health, after a long incumbency of nearly thirty-four years.
The Bishop of Nelson sent a letter expressing his sympathy, and regretting that ill-health prevented him from attending.
The new church, which is a very handsome building, is designed to accommodate 440 people. The contract for its erection and completion is £1900.
The foundation stone is a fine block of marble, presented by Mr. Robert Pattie, senior, of Riwaka, from whose property the stone was quarried. It is 30 inches long, 12¾in. deep, and 14in. in width, and was dressed free of charge by the late Mr. R. Simpson, monumental mason, of Hardy-street. The face of the block, 30in. by 12¾in., has a plain smooth border, with a finely-picked sunk panel, in the centre of which are the raised and highlypolished characters—"a.d. 1891." At present Trinity Church is without an appointed Pastor. The church officers are:—Elders— Messrs. Wm. Brown, Robert Murray, and Captain Clouston; Managers—Messrs. Alex. Brown, Andrew Brown, W. G. Burton, B. S. Chisholm, W. W. Chisholm, R. M. Crosbie, F. Hamilton, W. Hunter, W. McConchie, Jno. Poison, W. Robertson, S. F. Sherwood, B. Taylor, and T. M. Murray (Secretary). Mr. Heginbotham is architect for the new church, and Mr. J. Robertson the builder.