Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc. (In English and Maori), Passed by the General Assembly, Session 1892, 1893, 1897, 1898, 1899.

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc. (In English and Maori). Passed by the General Assembly. Sessions 1899

page break

Acts Affecting Native Lands,
Etc.
(In English and Maori),
Passed by the General Assembly,
Sessions 1899.

Contents.

• Native Land Laws Amendment.
  • Native Reserves Act Amendment.
  • Native Townships Act Amendment.

Wellington. By Authority: John Mackay, Government Printer. 1899.

page break
page break

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc.

(In English and Maori).
Passed by the General Assembly.
Sessions 1899.

Contents.

• Native Land Laws Amendment.
  • Native Reserves Act Amendment.
  • Native Townships Act Amendment.

Wellington. By Authority: John Mackay, Government Printer. 1899.

page break page 1

New Zealand
Analysis.

Title.
1. Short Title.
2. Extended power as to orders permitting land to be mortgaged in certain cases.
3. Restriction on alienation of Native or other lands. Proviso.
4. Restriction under survey liens.
5. Duration of Act.

1899, No. 30.
Title.An Act to further amend the Law relating to Native Land.

[24th October, 1899.

Be it Enacted by the General Assembly of New Zealand in Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1.short Title. The Short Title of this Act is "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1899."
2.Extended power as to orders permitting land to be mortgaged in certain cases. Subject to the provisions contained in section four of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1895," the Governor in Council, when making an order under the said section four for the purpose of permitting land to be mortgaged by the Native owner thereof, may except the said land from the operation of sections five and six of the said Act, or of any other enactment in force in New Zealand relating to Native lands or lands owned by Natives, so that the owner thereof may mortgage the same as fully and effectually and confer the same power of sale as if the land comprised in the mortgage were lawfully owned by a European.
Restriction on alienation of Native or other lands. On and after the commencement of this Act Native land or land owned or held by Natives shall not be alienated to the Crown by way of sale.
Proviso. Provided that in any case where, at the commencement of this Act, any written contract or agreement for the purchase on behalf of Her Majesty of any such land as aforesaid has been entered into, such purchase may be completed in so far only as is necessary for the adjustment of boundaries and partition of the respective interests of the Crown and Native owners, anything hereinbefore contained to the contrary notwithstanding; and a certificate by the Minister of Native Affairs that any such contract or agreement has been so entered into shall be sufficient evidence of the fact.
4.Restriction under survey liens. In all cases in which a lien or charge by way of mortgage exists to secure the payment of the cost of survey of Native land, or page 2land owned or held by Natives, and enforceable by sale or other alienation of the land affected, such sale or alienation shall not take place unless the Governor, by Order in Council, shall have first approved of such sale or alienation; but in all cases where the Surveyor General shall have certified that the charges and costs of such surveys are reasonable and just, and an Order in Council is refused, such lien or charge by way of mortgage shall, as provided by law, be taken over by the Crown.
5.Duration of Act. This Act shall remain in force only until ten days after the last day of the next session of Parliament.
page 1

New Zealand.
Analysis.

Title.
1. Short Title.
2. Amendment of "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1895."
3. Further amendment of same Act.
4. Term "lessee" shall include executors, administrators, and assigns.
5. Only certain conditions of "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1892," to apply.

1899, No. 21.
Title.An Act to amend the Law relating to Native Reserves

[21st October, 1899.

Be it Enacted by the General Assembly of New Zealand in Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1.short Title. The Short Title of this Act is "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1899."
2.Amendment of "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1895" Section seven of "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1895," is hereby amended by repealing subsection one thereof, in reference to leases which have been or may hereafter be surrendered with the consent of the Public Trustee, and substituting therefor the following provision:—
"(1.) The new lease shall commence from the day of the date of its execution by the Public Trustee."
3.Farther amendment of same Act. The aforesaid section seven is also hereby further amended by repealing paragraph (b) of subsection two thereof, and substituting therefor the following provision:—
"(b.) In the case of an original lease which expires after the first day of April, one thousand eight hundred and ninety-six, the lessee during the continuance of the term makes and delivers an application in writing to the Public Trustee for the grant of such new lease."
4.Term "lessee" shall include executors, administrators, and assigns. The term "lessee," in sections six and seven of "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1895," and in this Act, shall include the lessee, his executors, administrators, and assigns; and "improvements" shall have the same meaning as is given to that word by section three of "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1893."page 2
5.Only certain conditions of "The west Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1892," to apply. Subsection five of section seven of "The Native Reserves Act Amendment Act, 1895," is hereby modified as to leases of land other than those of land vested in the Public Trustee by "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1892," so that only such conditions of that Act shall apply as are incidental to the right of renewal.
page 1

New Zealand.
Analysis.

Title.
1. Short Title.
2. Compensation and costs of survey payable in half-yearly instalments.
3. Payments to Native owners.
4. Section 22 of principal Act amended.

1899, No. 9.
Title.An Act to amend " the Native Townships Act, 1895."

[19th October, 1899.

1.short Title. The Short Title of this Act is "The Native Townships Act Amendment Act, 1899."
2.compensation and costs of survey payable in half-yearly instalments. Section twenty of "The Native Townships Act, 1895" (herein called "the said Act"), is hereby modified by providing that, in lieu of charging against and deducting from the moneys in the therein-mentioned account the entire amount of compensation or costs of survey, such compensation or costs may be charged and deducted in such number of half-yearly instalments, not exceeding twenty, as, on the report of the Commissioner, the Minister of Lands thinks fit; and the surplus moneys divisible each half-year amongst the Native owners shall be computed accordingly.
3.Payments to Native owners. The sums payable to the Native owners in respect of each such half-yearly division shall be paid to them as soon as practicable after the division is made.
4.section 22 of principal Act amended. Section twenty-two of the said Act is hereby amended by the insertion of the words "or right to any improvements" after the words "any such share or interest."
page break
page 1

Niu Tireni.
"Ture Whakatikatika I Nga Ture Whenua Maori, 1899."

He Ture hei whakatikatika ano i te Ture e pa ana ki nga Whenua Maori.

Ka Meingatia Hei Ture e te Runanga nui o Niu Tireni e noho huihui ana i roto i te Paremete, i runga ano i tona mana, ara:—

1.Te Ingoa Poto o tenei Ture ko "Te Ture Whakatikatika i nga Ture Whenua Maori. 1899."
2. I raro ano ia i nga tikanga o te tekiona wha o "Te Ture Whakatikatika i nga Ture Whenua Maori, 1895," i te mea e mahia ana e te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera tetabi ota i raro i nga tikanga o taua tekiona wha, hei whakaae kia moketeria tetahi whenua e te Maori whaitake, me ahei ki te wehe atu i taua whenua kia kaua e pangia e nga tikanga o te tekiona rima me te tekiona ono o taua Ture, o tetahi atu Ture ranei e mana ana i Niu Tireni nei mo runga mo nga whenua Maori mo nga whenua ranei e whaitake ana nga Maori, kia ahei ai te tangata whaitake ki te mokete i te whenua me te uru atu o te mana hoko ki roto ki te mokete ano he whenua na te pakeha te whenua e moketetia ana.

I muri tonu iho i te mananga o tenei Ture ko nga whenua Maori me nga whenua e whaitake ana nga. Maori me nga whenua e puritia ana e nga Maori me kaua e taea te tuku ki te Karauna i runga i te hoko:

Engari ko nga tuhituhinga whakaritenga whakaaetanga hoko ranei mo te taha ki a te Kuini mo aua tu whenua kua whakahuatia ake nei kua timataria i te wa e mana ai tenei Ture, me ahei ano te whakaoti aua hoko, mo nga whakaritenga anake i nga rohe me nga wehewehenga atu o nga paanga o te Karauna me nga Maori whaitake, ahakoa e anga ke ana nga tikanga o runga ake nei; a ko te tiwhikete a te Minita mo nga Mea Maori te tohu hei whakapono kua timataria tetahi whakaritenga whakaaetanga pera.

4. Mehemea e tau ana tetahi riana, tetahi taunaha ranei hei mokete hei whakaea mo nga utu ruri whenua Maori, me nga whenua e whaitake ana nga Maori, me nga whenua e puritia ana e nga Maori, a e mana ana kia whakaeangia i runga i te hoko i tuku ranei o aua tu whenua, kaua e whakamanaia taua hoko taua tuku ranei, kia matua page 2whakaaetia ra ano e te Kawana taua hoko tuku ranei, i runga i tana Ota o roto o tona Kaunihera; engari i te mea e whakaaetia ana e te Tino Tumuaki o nga Kai-wea e tika ana e rite ana ano nga utu e tonoa ana mo te ruritanga o te whenua, a kaore e whakaaetia ana te Ota o roto o te Kaunihera, kei reira ko taua riana, taunaha mokete ranei, i raro ano i nga tikanga o te Ture, me riro atu ki te Karauna.
5. Ko tenei Ture me whaimana tonu a pau noa nga ra kotahi tekau o muri atu o te ra whakamutunga o tera huihuinga o te Paremete, kei reira me mutu te mana o tenei Ture.
page 1

Niu Tireni.
Ture Whakatikatika I Te Ture Rahui Maori, 1899.

He Ture hei whakatikatika i te Ture e pa ana ki nga Rahui Maori.

Ka Meingatia Hei Ture e te Runanga Nui o Niu Tireni e noho huihui ana i roto i te Paremete, i runga ano i tona mana, ara:—

1.Te Ingoa Poto o tenei Ture ko "Te Ture Whakatikatika i te Ture Rahui Maori, 1899."
2. Ko te tekiona whitu o "Te Ture Whakatikatika i te Ture Rahui Maori, 1895," e whakatikaia ana e tenei ara e whakakorea atu ana te wahanga tahi o taua tekiona, mo runga mo nga riihi kua whakarerea kua whakamutua tera ranei e whakarerea e whakamutua a muri ake nei, i runga ano i te whakaae atu a te Kaitiaki mo te Katoa, a me hoatu ko enei kupu e whai ake nei hei whakakapi mo tera, ara:—
"(1.) Ko te riihi hou me timata atu i te ra e hangaa ai te riihi hou e te Kaitiaki mo te Katoa."
3. Ko te rarangi (b) o te wahanga rua o taua tekiona whitu e whakakorea atu ana, a me hoatu ko enei kupu e whai ake nei hei whakakapi mo era, ara:—
"(b.) Mehemea ia he riihi tuatahi e pau ana ona tau i muri mai i te ra tuatahi o Aperira, tau tahi mano waru rau iwa tekau ma ono, a e tonoa a pukapukatia ana e te kaitangoriihi ki te Kaitiaki mo te Katoa i te wa e mana ana ano tona riihi kia tukuna atu he riihi hou pera ki a ia."
4. Ko tenei kupu "kaitango-riihi" i roto i te tekiona ono me te tekiona whitu o "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1895 i te Ture Rahui Maori," i roto hoki i tenei Ture, ko tono tikanga ko te kaitangoriihi, hui atu ki ona kaiwhakahaere me ona kaiwhakakapi; a ko te tikanga o tenei kupu "whakapainga" me pera ano tona tikanga me tera i whakaritea ai hei tikanga mo taua kupu i roto i "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1893 i te Ture Whakatau Rahui o te Tai Hauauru"
5. Ko te wahanga rima o te tekiona whitu o "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1895 i te Ture Rahui Maori," e whakangawaritia ana ona tikanga mo nga riihi o nga whenua e hara nei i te riihi o nga whenua kua whakataua ki te Kaitiaki mo te Katoa i raro i nga tikanga o "Te Ture Whakatau Rahui o te Tai Hauauru, 1892," kia kati anake nga tikanga o taua ture me pa atu ko nga mea anake e whaitikanga ana mo te mana whakahoutanga o te riihi.
page break
page 1

Niu Tireni.
Ture Whakatikatika I Te Ture Taone Maori, 1899.

He Ture hei whakatikatika i "Te Ture Taone Maori, 1895."

Ka Meingatia Hei Ture e te Runanga Nui o Niu Tireni e noho huihui ana i roto i te Paremete, i runga ano i tona mana, ara: —

1.Te Ingoa Poto o tenei Ture ko "Te Ture Whakatikatika i Te Ture Taone Maori, 1899."
2. E whakangawaritia ana e tenei nga tikanga o te tekiona rua tekau o "Te Ture Taone Maori, 1895" (e huaina ana i roto nei ko taua Ture), ara kia kaua e waiho ma nga moni o roto o taua kaute e utu topu katoa atu nga moni e tika ana kia utua hei whakaea mo nga whakapainga, me te ruritanga, engari ko aua utu mo nga whakapainga me era atu utu me whakaea i runga i te tangohanga atu o etahi o nga moni o ia ono marama, kaua e maha atu i te rua tekau nga utu a ono marama e puritia atu ana etahi wahi o nga moni, ki ta te Minita mo nga Whenua i mahara ai he mea tika, i runga ano i te tohutohu atu a te Komihana, a ko te toenga o aua moni me tuha i ia ono marama ki nga Maori whaitake.
3. Ko nga moni e tika ana kia utua ki nga Maori mo ia tuhatu-hanga o ia ono marama me utu ki a ratou i muri tata tonu iho o te wehewehenga o aua moni.
4. Ko te tekiona rua tekau ma rua o taua Ture e whakatikaina ana e tenei Ture, ara e whakaurua atu ana enei kupu, "ki nga utu mo nga whakapainga ranei" i muri tata tonu iho i nga kupu "o tetahi hea whaipaanga ranei."
page break page break page break page break page break page break page break page break page break page break page break