The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 12, Issue 4 (July 1, 1937)
“The history of Wellington stations goes back to 1874, when the first station was opened on a site close to Davis Street. This was called Pipitea station. In 1880 a new station known as Wellington station was opened on the site of the Railway Head Office buildings in Featherston Street—buildings which are now being vacated by the Head Office staff for the more convenient and commodious offices provided in this new building.
“Some idea of comparison between the Wellington station of 1880 and the present 1937 station may be gauged from the fact that the former station building was only 150 ft. in length and the platform was only 120 ft. long. The contract price for that building was £2,294—the contract price for the present structure was £339,137.
“The next change in Wellington's stations took place when the Pipitea station was closed in September, 1884, and Lambton Station was opened for passengers in 1885.
“The Manawatu Railway Company's line had been commenced in 1882, and its first station (intended to be a temporary one) was opened at Thorndon in 1886. Owing to inability to reach an agreement, the original intention of the company to bring its trains to the Wellington station was abandoned, with the result that for the last fifty years Wellington has suffered the inconvenience of two stations instead of one central depot for the transaction of its railway business.