The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 12, Issue 3 (June 1, 1937)
The Havelock School
The Havelock School.
When Ernest was eleven years old the Rutherfords removed to Havelock, in Marlborough, and in that secluded township at the head of Pelorus Sound the boy came under the influence of an excellent teacher, Mr. Jacob H. Reynolds.
This master was not content with the ordinary school syllabus. For an hour each morning, before nine o'clock, he conducted a class in Latin for his most promising seventh-standard boys, of whom Ernest was one. The boy became a source of great pride to Havelock when he won the Marl-borough Provincial Scholarship of £52/10/- for two years, tenable at Nelson College.
Dr. E. Marsden, Secretary of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, who tells of those early days of his friend, accompanied Rutherford to the old school at Havelock when the great scholar revisited New Zealand, and heard many reminiscences of Mr. Reynolds and his brilliant pupil. One old resident narrated how young Rutherford sat alone in the school for the scholarship examination, and how the supervisor read each page as it was written and gave his opinion to callers as to how the candidate was getting along.