The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 10, Issue 6 (September 2, 1935)
The Glenmark Treasure
The Glenmark Treasure.
Turn now to the Geologist's assiduous search for buried treasure—for treasure indeed those moa bones of Glenmark were to Haast and his beloved adopted country. No adventurers hunting for pirates' buried gold and jewel hoards ever unearthed their finds more joyfully than did Haast those huge prehistoric bones first revealed by drainage works on the Glenmark station in Canterbury. It was at the invitation of Mr. G. H. Moore, the New Zealand partner of Messrs. Kermode and Co., that he went in December, 1866, to excavate that last home of the moa. Mr. Moore presented most generously the large collection of remains of the great bird to the Museum in connection with the Geological Survey. The result of excavations carried out by the Geologist surpassed the highest expectations, and he returned to Christchurch with a waggon-load of bones, the most delighted of men. The taxidermist to the Museum, the late Mr. F. R. Fuller, articulated under Haast's direction from the collections the first seven moa skeletons which made a wonderful display in the Canterbury Museum. By exchange with other great museums, the skeletons not required in the Canterbury Museum procured for Haast's institution valuable general collections which enabled Canterbury to build up and fill its great treasure-house. Haast was the founder and the maker and finisher of that home of science and antiquities.