The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 7, Issue 2 (June 1, 1932)
Across the Plains
Across the Plains.
Forty miles further on, after passing through the historic Scandinavian-settled country that was once the Seventy-mile Bush, the physiography of the Takapau district attracts attention. The sleekly-grassed hills slant gently up on the one side and dip suddenly into valleys on the east, as if fractured by some ancient earthquake. Further on are the broad shallow rivers of the Wai-pukurau and Waipawa districts, crossed by long bridges. Waipukurau (“Place of Many Flood Waters”) is a particularly well-laid-out town, originally part of the estate of a pioneer station-owner, the Hon. H. R. Russell. The Ruahine Ranges mount into bold gorge-seamed heights on the west. The farm country becomes more closely settled as the large town of Hastings is approached. When we reach this town we can understand why many people consider it a finer place than its big sister Napier.