Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 7, Issue 2 (June 1, 1932)

[section]

One of the first motor jiggers introduced on the N.Z.R. The snap was taken at Mercer, about 1902, and shews (at back) Mr. C. Holm Biss, District Engineer, and front (left) Mr. H. Buxton, District Traffic Manager, and Mr. H. J. Jones, Stationmaster.

One of the first motor jiggers introduced on the N.Z.R. The snap was taken at Mercer, about 1902, and shews (at back) Mr. C. Holm Biss, District Engineer, and front (left) Mr. H. Buxton, District Traffic Manager, and Mr. H. J. Jones, Stationmaster.

In anticipation of the early completion of the contracts, an amended working agreement was made with the contractors. This agreement began on the 1st September, 1867, and was originally for six months, terminating on 31st March, 1868. As the Lyttelton tunnel was not then ready to be handed over, the agreement was extended to the end of July, when the Provincial Government took charge of the Railways. The traffic during the period of eleven months was as under:—